Scare LA: A Horror Comic Con

Scare LA – a horror comic con

As Halloween draws close, we begin to look to places which may inspire fear in us. Such places may include the cinemas showing horror movie marathons. Or, perhaps, more creative sites, such as Warwick Castle, where you can be taken through a dungeon tour. At this hallowed site, causing University of Warwick students to actually visit Warwick, actors convey the horrors of medieval life with an assortment of props and creepy grins.

However, go farther afield to America and you will find events which contain all the treats of the scary season under one roof. One such event can be found in downtown Los Angeles, California, in both summer and closer to Halloween itself: Scare LA, the horror comic con for the ages.

The best attraction though may be the virtual reality horror bus where, with a headset firmly strapped on, you are taken on a ride to virtual Hell.

Scare LA is a theme park, screening room and comic con combined in one. For those seeking an experience which is highly interactive, you will be in luck. The first thing you see on your right is a fenced off area warning of zombie outbreaks. This isn’t a place where they put toddlers to stop them biting – that’s the giant eyeball pit on the left – it’s an actual zombie run where you must evade the living dead in a confined environment.

It’s enough to get the heart pumping; but, if this is not enough, there are mini castles and haunted houses (albeit with queues) in which you will be scared by dedicated actors and sound effects. There are also more friendly areas for children to indulge in the macabre, such as monster-making sessions with clay or the 3D ghost train which runs through a twisted version of Wonderland.

Walk around further and you will find optimal photo shoot areas, with blood-stained corpses and skeletal witches eager for you to snap your holiday pictures in their company. There’s even a giant Ouija board to surf or manoeuvre if you fancy conversing with comic con goers who have moved passed through the mortal veil. The best attraction though may be the virtual reality horror bus where, with a headset firmly strapped on, you are taken on a ride to virtual Hell.

The films … can still provoke a cry of disgust or pure thrill, which makes for a nice change in pace as you explore the weird and wonderful landscape before you

Even if all of this sounds a bit too much and you’d rather sit back and take everything in, Scare LA has you covered. LA’s booming drag scene has its place here as well, with drag queens discussing their love of horror movies between magicians and horror icons. In 2018, when I attended, Linda Blair (Reagan from The Exorcist) was one such esteemed guest – even if she wanted to talk more about animal welfare than that time her head spun and produced green vomit.

Furthermore, there is a screening area where short horror films are shown. Filmmaking and the passion for horror is greatly encouraged within the local film schools and groups looking for students and PA’s. The films are often low-budget but can still provoke a cry of disgust or pure thrill, which makes for a nice change in pace as you explore the weird and wonderful landscape before you.

It combines everything you could want and wish to buy in one place that will give you thrills

If you’re up for taking a walk around, there are plenty of panels which give way to every bit of horror icon memorabilia you could want – from T-shirts to toys and even costumes. Wish for a pinned and stuffed tarantula? Want a squid in water or maybe just a kitten to adopt for a charity? It’s all here and waiting beside the deadly weapons and beer. Little statues of horror icons rub shoulders with makeup tutorials so you can traumatise your friends. Also, there will never be a more terrifying place to donate blood – there’s a blood donation van in the back just waiting for a donation to vampires and toddlers alike – pray yours gets to the right location.

Scare LA is the apex of the interactive horror experience. It combines everything you could want and wish to buy in one place that will give you thrills and chills – your heart may need checking once you’re through.