diversity student theatre
Image: Omar Lopez / Unsplash

MTW’s ‘A Chorus Line’: a quest for representation in student theatre

A Chorus Line is a particularly exciting production for liberation communities at Warwick due to its unashamed celebration of diversity and individualism. The very premise of the show is to explore the stories of the ensemble – those usually pushed to the background. Each member of the chorus explains what led them to dance and the Broadway Stage, exploring their diverse yet strangely similar upbringings. This very premise makes the show perfect for Warwick Drama right now.

With the inclusion of race-specific characters such as Richie (African-American), Diana (Hispanic) and Connie (Asian-American), the show explores, in a way that many others within the genre don’t, how race can influence and enrich one’s life, without the need to segregate them from others. I believe this message is vital in our current climate.

In their quest to properly explore and honour their heritage, cultural societies can sometimes end up isolating themselves and creating a ‘them versus us’ mentality. I see this as a real shame. With a show like A Chorus Line, we hope to bring members of these once conflicting societies together, showing them a different side to university life that they may have once seen as inaccessible.

The very premise of the show is to explore the stories of the ensemble – those usually pushed to the background

Beyond just race, A Chorus Line is a promising prospect for all students because of its open and expansive set design. The show is famous for its lack of set, often featuring just a mirror and a ballet bar. This means that disabled performers can be actively involved in the production without any limitations, expressing themselves just as freely as any other actor. Although A Chorus Line is traditionally a very dance-heavy show, its choreography is flexible and easily changed, allowing those with access requirements to perform in one of the largest capacity theatres in the Midlands.

Most importantly, I believe A Chorus Line is an exceptional project because of the attitude of its creative team. Sporting an incredibly diverse production team, the most of any MTW Theatre show, the team understands the importance of making these opportunities available for all, regardless of sexuality or race. They view the task of finding appropriate actors as a gift, not a burden, putting all their conscious efforts into ensuring not only that characters are handled appropriately (such as openly LGBT, Jewish Dancer Greg), but also portrayed by actors that wholeheartedly believe in their artistic vision and desire to do better by BAME performers.

To audition for this show, click here, or to simply follow it’s progress, click here.