student budget
Image: Fabian Blank / Unsplash

Appreciating the arts on a student budget

Whether it’s for the first time or as a returning student, coming to university brings with it a variety of worries, and one of those is financial. From food to rent and everything in between, affording life as a student may seem hard enough to budget without also considering the price of enjoying the arts whilst you’re here. However, it can be easier and cheaper than you think to experience the creative opportunities that the area surrounding our university has to offer.

Firstly, the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) offers a popular ‘RSC Key’ scheme that allows students to experience their shows for the stunning price of just £5. Simply entering the code ‘1625’ when looking for tickets grants you the discount and reveals the seats you can book. From that point, all you need to do is take your student ID with you to the performance. Earlier this year, a friend and I used the scheme to see the RSC’s Troilus and Cressida and felt rather pleased to be sitting in the third row of the stalls with a great view, for the price of just a fiver plus bus fare.

Visiting Coventry’s Herbert Art Gallery costs nothing and has a range of art on display

Whilst discounts on tickets are always great, you could even skip this step and access one of the free attractions that surround our campus. Visiting Coventry’s Herbert Art Gallery costs nothing and has a range of art on display, regular new exhibitions and artistic workshops available for booking. Situated in Coventry’s city centre, you can get there using the 12X bus and even explore the historic Cathedral opposite the gallery whilst you’re there. The free-to-enter Transport Museum is also nearby, so you can make a day of experiencing everything Coventry has to offer.

Moving on to Leamington Spa, there’s free admission to the Art Gallery and Museum in the Royal Pump Rooms. It’s not a huge gallery by any means, but could make a nice pit stop whilst exploring Leamington Spa nonetheless. Across the river from the Royal Pump Rooms, The Loft Theatre offers discounted student tickets and often hosts shows performed by Warwick students. For a slightly different vibe, the Leif Tearooms do an open mic night every Thursday, which is a great way to listen to some independent local musicians or even take to the stage yourself.

I’d encourage you to explore the areas surrounding campus as it helps you to escape the Warwick bubble

I’d encourage you to explore the areas surrounding campus as it helps you to escape the Warwick bubble for a few hours, but there are also some great opportunities to experience the arts on our very own campus. Starting with the Warwick Arts Centre, there are a whole host of events and Warwick students can get discounted tickets on selected shows. They also do a guided tour of the sculptures dotted around the university, an easy way to explore campus and learn all about the art that surrounds us.

Societies form such a huge part of university life here and they provide plenty of opportunities to experience the arts just a few steps away from your halls. Codpiece Theatre Society, Music Theatre Warwick, ShakeSoc and Warwick University Drama Society are great places to start. Made up of student writers and performers, you can get involved in the shows yourself or enjoy the brilliant performances they put on for cheap ticket prices. Often staged on campus, there’s the added bonus of no travel costs.

A student budget doesn’t leave much room for cultural enrichment, but with the discounts that are on offer there’s still hope of experiencing the arts without breaking the bank

If you’re after something a little different to theatre and art, Word Society and Public Speaking Society focus on the spoken word. Alongside a range of social events, they host open mic nights which you can attend at little-to-no cost or take part in yourself, perhaps as a step towards the bigger open mics in Leamington Spa.

Planning your Arts adventures may not be your top priority immediately upon arrival, but there are so many opportunities to enjoy creative activities during your time here. Admittedly, a student budget doesn’t leave much room for cultural enrichment, but with the discounts that are on offer there’s still hope of experiencing the arts without breaking the bank.