Safe/ Image: Unsplash

Staying safe in freshers’ week and beyond

With freshers’ week finally here, lots of incoming students are undoubtedly looking forward to going clubbing for what might be the first time. This is incredibly exciting, but for anyone nervous about staying safe or what to expect, I’m going to share some tips and tricks to help you stay safe on a night out.

In general, campus universities like Warwick are safe places to study and go out. On campus, events are well stewarded, and living on campus in first year makes coming home from freshers’ events or POP! on Wednesdays easy.

Having an August birthday meant that the first time I went clubbing was in freshers’ week, and I had no idea what to expect. Going clubbing is a lot of fun if that’s what you want to do, and there are ways to make sure you are safe. First of all, try to stay in a group and make sure you are looking out for your friends. Watch out for friends that look uncomfortable and never leave anyone alone. Go to the toilet or bar in pairs: don’t leave your friends wondering where you are.

Try to have drinks in bottles rather than cups, never leave your drink anywhere and don’t accept drinks from strangers

Something that comes with drinking and going clubbing for the first time is being aware of limits, and not drinking in excess. You don’t have to drink to have a good time, and lots of people go clubbing sober or go to other sober social events. For those that do choose to drink, it is very important to be aware of how much is too much. Drinkaware warns that it is safest not to drink more than 14 units a week.

There’s nothing wrong with going out every now and then, as long as you do not binge drink every night. It’s good to know and then stick to your personal limit: it’s not fun for anyone having to look after a friend who is being sick on a night out.

It’s also important to consider drink spiking. This is, unfortunately, a reality that we have to be cautious of when going out, and there are ways to try and minimise the risk of this. Try to have drinks in bottles rather than cups, never leave your drink anywhere and don’t accept drinks from strangers. If you have to leave a drink with someone, make sure it is a friend that you trust. If you are concerned that your drink has been spiked, tell someone at the bar, or the club security. If you are on campus, tell the security staff in the SU or any of the bar staff and they can help you. We must all be vigilant and alert someone if you see anyone acting suspicious or tampering with drinks.

After the week of on-campus Freshers’ events, you will undoubtedly start to venture off campus to Coventry and Leamington for nights out

Warwick SU runs the ‘Ask for Angela’ campaign; signs for this can be seen all over the SU building and in the female toilets. If you feel uncomfortable or unsafe on a night out, you can head to the bar and ask for ‘Angela.’ The staff are trained to deal with this and will help you. Warwick runs a wide range of ‘We Get Consent’ campaigns and the SU is there to help if you feel unsafe on a night out.

After the week of on-campus freshers’ events, you will undoubtedly start to venture off campus to Coventry and Leamington for nights out. This isn’t something to worry about, as both areas have lots of great bars, pubs, and clubs which are mostly filled with students. There are lots of bus and taxi services that run from campus to the surrounding areas.

UniExpress runs tickets to Kasbah on Monday, Smack on Tuesday and Thursday, and Neon on Friday, that cost around £12.50 for coach travel there and back and entry to the club. This is great because it means there are no worries about getting home after as the buses run until around 4am and the cost is very reasonable.

Sticking together and being there for your friends if they feel unsafe or uncomfortable is essential

Kasbah Mondays are my favourite night. I would suggest that it can be cheaper to get the bus there, pay £5 entry and then split an Uber home as we don’t always want to wait for the UniExpress home, and the Ubers back from Coventry are very cheap. On Fridays, there is a Party Bus that runs to Pryzm in Birmingham which is great value at £12, and worth it because taxis to Birmingham are expensive.

Looking after your friends and staying safe is the most important thing to remember on a night out. And sticking together and being there for someone if they feel unsafe or uncomfortable is essential. Freshers’ is a great week and Warwick has so many places to go on nights out off-campus. Safety is something to be aware and conscious of, but don’t let worry ruin a good night out.