Image: Henrimatisse / Wikimedia Commons
Image: Henrimatisse / Wikimedia Commons

Jo Johnson quits as Conservative MP and universities minister

Universities and science minister Jo Johnson has announced that he is standing down as a Conservative MP and quitting as a minister. 

The Prime Minister’s brother tweeted that “in recent weeks” he has “been torn between family loyalty and the national interest”, which he said was an “unresolvable tension”.

Mr Johnson voted to remain in the 2016 European Referendum and resigned as a minister under former Prime Minister Theresa May in opposition to her Brexit deal.

He was reappointed as universities minister in Boris Johnson’s cabinet reshuffle just over a month ago, after previously holding the position from July 2016 to January 2018.

Times Higher Education and the BBC’s political editor Laura Kuenssberg has suggested that the removal of the Conservative whip from 21 MPs this week for supporting the prevention a no-deal Brexit was a factor in Mr Johnson’s resignation.

Mr Johnson was “understood to be upset about the purge of colleagues”, Laura Kuenssberg said.

David Gauke, who was among the MPs who lost the Conservative whip, tweeted: “Lots of MPs have had to wrestle with conflicting loyalties in recent weeks. None more so than Jo. This is a big loss to Parliament, the government and the Conservative Party.”

Earlier this week Mr Johnson was also facing pressure from higher education sector leaders to clarify his stance on a no-deal Brexit after the Prime Minister called for Parliament to be suspended for five weeks.

The Orpington MP is reportedly expected to stand down at the next general election instead of leaving immediately and prompting a by-election.

A Downing Street spokesman said: “The prime minister would like to thank Jo Johnson for his service. He has been a brilliant, talented minister and a fantastic MP.

“The PM, as both a politician and brother, understands this will not have been an easy matter for Jo. The constituents of Orpington could not have asked for a better representative.”