Guacamelee 2
Credit: Drinkbox Studios, IGDB

FLASHSALE! Guacamelee 2 – Xbox One Review

Guacamelee 2 by Drinkbox Studios is a hilariously fun and deceptively challenging metroidvania platformer. I have loved every second of this game and if you have an Xbox One, this really is a must play Game Pass title if you did not pick it up at release.

Set 7 years after his previous adventure, Juan Aguacate must pick up the luchador mask once more to save the Mexiverse. Juan is transported to the ‘Darkest Timeline’, a world in which he died fighting against the first game’s final boss and a man named Salvador saved the day instead. Salvador has since become a power hungry villain, who hopes that eating the god’s Sacred Guacamole will bestow upon him great strength. Bringing about the entire collapse of every universe is a price he is willing to pay. To stop him, Juan must relearn all the fighting techniques he mastered in the past, as both a human and a chicken, and fight his way through Salvador’s army of monsters, collecting power-ups as he goes.

I love all the dumb jokes and background references to other games

Guacamelee 2 does in many ways fall into the sequel trope of ‘the same but more’, though this is by no means a negative. The game continues the trend of poking fun at itself, the genre and video gaming as a whole whilst still showing great respect for the medium. I love all the dumb jokes and background references to other games. They might not add to the story or world significantly but highlight that Drinkbox Studios obviously love gaming as much as we do.

This same love and attention is also paid to the mechanics and Guacamelee 2’s challenge. Most players will be able to struggle their way through to the end but even the most hardcore gamers will find some of the most difficult optional sections tough. I particularly loved hunting down the key pieces for the chicken illuminati. Yes you read that right, the chicken illuminati. Four of the five pieces are only obtainable after beating Guacamelee 2’s hardest platforming and fighting segments, but the satisfaction of conquering them, coupled with the amazing rewards of ‘The Secret Message’ and incredible in-game ability makes the effort all worth it.

Drinkbox’s gaming passion shines through

I truly adored everything about Guacamelee 2, the story and gameplay are both superb and Drinkbox’s gaming passion shines through in all of the hilarious references, jokes and the quality of their work. As an Xbox Game Pass title, this game is by far and away worth the £7.99 monthly fee and, as my 100% completion run took me only about 12 hours, you will undoubtedly have more time to play other games on the service before the month is up.