Image: Jeremy Dorrough/ Unsplash
Image: Jeremy Dorrough/ Unsplash

Universities UK raises concern over delays with international student visas

Universities UK (UUK) has raised concern that tens of thousands of international students could face unexpected bills for and delays to visa applications.

Sopra Steria, a French Company, has been mandated by the Home Office to collect biometric information as part of visa applications.

The company has been “unable to meet demand” for information ahead of the new academic year, said UUK.

According to The Financial Times, during the first six months of Sopra Steria’s contract, the company was “beset with complaints of disorganisation” from students.

Alistair Jarvis, chief executive of Universities UK, the advocacy organisation for UK universities, said that “the current capacity and level of service being offered by Sopra Steria remains unacceptable.” 

Jarvis went on to criticise Sopra Steria for attempting to make students and universities foot the bill to “address Sopra Steria’s broken system”.

A spokesperson from Sopra Steria, which reported group net profits of €61m in the first half of 2019, said: “We are focused on adapting the service to respond to areas of greatest demand and are increasing capacity where needed.”

We are focused on adapting the service to respond to areas of greatest demand and are increasing capacity where needed

– Sopra Steria Spokesperson

Elisa Calcagni, a PhD student at the University of Cambridge, told UUK that “as a non-EEA national, [she] was required to enrol biometrics through Sopra Steria”.

Unable to book an appointment in Cambridge, Calcagni “selected to pay £100 for an appointment in Croydon”, two hours away from her accommodation, where systems were not “working properly, leading to further delays”.

Concerns that visa applications for international students could be delayed until after the start of the new academic year stem from changes to the process for completing the biometric element of applications.

Previously, students were able to arrange document checks through their local Post Office, but this was phased out in spring this year.

Sopra Steria was awarded a £91m, five-year contract by the Home Office to verify documents and obtain the biometric data of applicants’ last year.

The Home Office has estimated that approximately 50,000 non-EU students are expected to apply for new visas this autumn as they continue their studies in the UK.

Amid ongoing uncertainty surrounding the Brexit process, Alistair Jarvis renewed calls for Sopra Steria to “send a more welcoming message to international students, signalling that the UK is open to talented individuals from around the world”.

Sopra Steria has agreed to provide additional “pop-up” facilities on university campuses around the country.

These 15 minute appointments, UUK states, will cost £50 and be paid for by the student or university.

“This is on top of the cost students pay for their visas and does not account for the space and staff resources that universities will need to use to facilitate these appointments,” UUK said.

Jo Stevens, Labour MP for Cardiff Central, responded after delays at Cardiff University that “any solution must come at zero cost to our universities, or students”.