Morphies Law
Credit: Cosmoscope

Morphies Law: Remorphed – Steam Review

On its surface Morphies Law is yet another, albeit charming, objective shooter. You have the red team and blue team, the generic array of guns and the game’s take on classic modes like team death match and capture the flag. However Morphies Law’s spin on the genre, its key growing and shrinking mechanic, really livens up gameplay. Disappointingly though the game feels unpolished, a feeling which will unfortunately keep it from being the standout hit it could have been.

Shooting enemies in any shooter deals damage. In Morphies Law you also steal their mass from them. The part of their body you are shooting will shrink whilst your equivalent part grows. As they become bigger, different body parts provide slight stat boosts and your health increases. Larger legs for example let you move faster and jump higher. Though bigger is not always better, you will be an easier target to hit and parts of the map will become inaccessible as you do not fit into them. 

This in match balancing act never makes one size feel better than another and provides plenty of humor. Players can make themselves recreations of Sid’s mismatched Toy Story toys. The game even rewards the player that had the weirdest shape at the end of a match.

The modes are all delightful

This mechanic is also tied intrinsically into the game modes. In one you must steal as much mass as possible from your opponents death match style, in another your team fight to keep one of your players as the largest Morphie on the map for the longest time. Another has you launching a giant head onto a just as giant body in a strange capture the flag/payload escort combination.

The modes are all delightful but there are not many of them, only four. There are similarly few maps as well which makes gameplay repetitive after a few hours. Furthermore, adding to the games faults are technical hiccups here and there. Body parts clipping through walls and clunky animations which make Morphies Law feel ‘indie’ in a bad way. For me, the most noticeable fault is seen every pre-match loading screen.

Faults here and there left the game feeling uncared for

When picking game modes the Morphies play instruments that come together for a song. It is charming and plays into the game’s Hispanic culture  inspired aesthetic. Though it is ruined as soon as you notice character movements and the tune do not align. Guitars are strummed out of sync with the sound and three wooden block hits will be heard when only two have happened. 

Morphies Law: Remorphed is a quirky indie through and through. It that knows exactly what it wants to be. Its core mechanic is genuinely fantastic and silly in equal parts. Though faults here and there left the game feeling uncared for, a feeling which I cannot imagine is true. If you’re looking for something new this summer and want to laugh, Morphies Law is for you. Otherwise, if amazing gunplay and technical polish are sticking points, you might want to give this game a miss.

Thank you to Cosmoscope for providing a copy of this game!