Image: Pixabay

A Hippocratic oath is needed for mathematicians and engineers of emerging technologies

First, do no harm. Whilst this exact phrase may not actually appear anywhere in the Hippocratic Oath it does make up the underlying message, that doctors should at least never worsen their patient’s state. In an exclusive from the Guardian, Dr Hannah Fry has suggested a similar oath should be taken up by mathematicians and engineers of emerging technologies. This to encourage scientists to pursue goals and developments that will not harm society.

This reality, the potential for a lack of moral thinking from scientists, is not entirely new. In his book, Jurassic Park, Michael Crichton explores such moral dilemmas. The film adaptation boils down his thinking into one succinct line delivered by actor Jeff Goldblum, “Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.” However, Dr Fry’s comments may likely be a stronger force for real change than a fictional story.

This reality, the potential for a lack of moral thinking from scientists, is not entirely new. In his book, Jurassic Park, Michael Crichton explores such moral dilemma

Dr Fry realised, when a Berlin audience heckled her talk about computer modelling the 2011 riots for the Metropolitan police, that scientists are so used to abstract problems it can be easy to ignore the real-world possibilities their work may lead to. In her case, her model could be abused by a police state. The University College London associate professor goes on to add that ethics in mathematics are “bolt-on at best”. That “[Ethics have] to be there from day one and at the forefront of your mind at every step you take.”

We have already seen some signs of Dr Fry’s greatest fears. The abuse of personal data by companies has been a regular headline in recent years. She says that these businesses are “filled with very young, very inexperienced, often white boys who have lived in maths departments and computer science departments”. These “boys”, who “have never been asked to think about ethics”, are “designing the future for all of us.” To an extent she is right. Here at Warwick, no maths, stats or computer science module (based on the list of module titles offered by those departments this coming academic year) seems to be dedicated entirely to ethics. Whilst the topic might be covered as part of a different module, this speaks to Dr Fry’s experiences.

Here at Warwick no maths, stats or computer science module (based on the list of module titles offered by those departments this coming academic year) seems to be dedicated entirely to ethics

Restrictive guidelines could be seen as an effort to stifle innovation. Though, such an oath would never be completely limiting. The specific oath that doctors agree to is not binding and its wording can vary from institute to institute. There are no punishments for breaking the Hippocratic oath unless the actions stray into malpractice. However, doctors, who are on a regular basis taking patient’s lives into their own hands, are taught from an early stage in their education the ethics of their profession. Taught to at least think morally before acting.

In this same way, Dr Fry hopes that those working in a field with similar potential to reshape lives as medicine will also pause to think on their moral obligations to humanity. This moral obstruction will not stop everybody. As much as you can find cases of doctors abusing their patients, data scientists and technology developers will undoubtedly find ways to put their own good and profits ahead of public safety. Some already are. At the very least though we might delay the inevitable worst, providing more time to prevent it altogether, if enough scientists can “stop to think”.