Summer/ Image: Unsplash

Getting organised over summer

With August here, we’re now into the peak of summer. It’s tempting to ignore the looming stress of the return to university and the heavy workload that inevitably comes with it. I admit, I’m not the greatest at staying on top of things myself (procrastination might as well be my middle name) but I do try, at least. And I want to convince you that there’s good reason for you to try too.

Ask yourself, what could you be doing right now instead of reading this? And what would you like to have finished and ticked off your to-do list before the start of term one?

These questions are a good place to start, and in answering them you should realise both why and how you should get organised this summer. You might have a reading list longer than your arm (as I do), or there might be topics you were weak on last year that need a bit of work. Or maybe you don’t have anything academic on your to-do list, but you need to look for work experience, plan your free time better, or organise your notes. Whatever it is, I guarantee that there’s something you can do now that will make life so much easier for your future self.

You don’t have to worry about getting everything done right now. That’s the luxury of planning ahead

You’ll thank yourself later on in the term when you’ve got the added stress of attending lectures, meeting deadlines and revising for exams. Get a pen and paper, or open your notes on your laptop (yes, right now), and get started on a real, achievable to-do list. Even if it looks daunting, it’s worth it, I promise.

You don’t have to worry about getting everything done right now. That’s the luxury of planning ahead. You just need to be able to think about how to plan your time better, and by the time October comes around you’ll feel both prepared and well-rested whilst everyone else scrambles to get their act together in time for the first deadline of the year.

Finding a balance is key, and leads me to my next suggestion: split your to-do list up into sections. What is urgent, what is important, and what is desirable? In other words, prioritise! Make sure that everything that needs to be done before the start of term will be done – take tasks from the urgent and important lists and set aside time for them, maybe half an hour every day, maybe a few hours on Monday, or something in between, whatever suits you best.

Make sure you spare time to relax and have fun – it is the holidays for a reason, and this time is precious

If you’re still struggling to get motivated, try reminding yourself why you chose your degree in the first place. If there are any modules you’re excited for, get reading for those first, and if you’ve got any academic goals, consider what your actions this summer could do to bring you closer to achieving them. And relaxation is important too. Make sure you spare time to relax and have fun – it is the holidays for a reason, and this time is precious. The closer we get to graduation, and an end to these long summer holidays, the more precious this time becomes.

It’s difficult to strike a balance, but it’s so important to try. You want to feel refreshed and relaxed on your return to university as well as organised and prepared. Don’t let yourself feel guilty for rearranging your schedule either, but do use that inkling of guilt to motivate you to get things done. What position do you want to be in when October comes around? Ask yourself that very question every time you procrastinate. I promise you will not miss that hour scrolling through Facebook, and you won’t remember it either. Have fun, make memories, and stay productive.

The truth is, as much as I’m pushing getting on top of your work, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t do everything you planned to – but I promise you’ll feel so much better for giving it your best try.

If you are struggling to cope with balancing your time, Warwick Careers & Skills can offer advice. The wellbeing services also offer support and advice to those who might need it.