A guide to Seville
Image: Lucy Martin

Everything you need to know for the perfect Spanish holiday in Seville

After an intense third term filled with exams and coursework, my flatmates and I decided to book a city break to the Spanish city of Seville. We were inspired by images of its beauty on Instagram and wanted a bit of sun, culture and good food.

We stayed in an apartment in the Old Town, which was definitely a good decision as it was not as busy as the centre of the city, but still stunning and perfectly located to visit the main sights. The first thing we did was walk around the Old Town and down to the river to have food and sangria. The river is extremely pretty at night and has lots of lovely bars and restaurants that are well worth a visit.

There is so much to see and do in Seville, so we decided, on our second day, to pay for the $20 sightseeing tour bus which allowed us to hop on and off and see as much of the city as possible. This was a great decision as we saw many of the significant landmarks of Seville.

The Plaza de España is simply breathtaking and has mosaic bridges that are intricate and stunning, a must-visit that makes for some amazing Instagram photos

My favourite part of the trip was visiting the Plaza de España, which is a square that combines stunning traditional Spanish and Moroccan architecture. It is simply breathtaking and has mosaic bridges that are intricate and stunning, a must-visit that makes for some amazing Instagram photos.

We also visited the Catedral de Sevilla which has beautiful gothic architecture and we saw the outside of the Royal Alcazar. Having seen photos of the inside, if I visited again, I would definitely pay to go in as the Moroccan architecture inside the Palace looked incredible.

We visited the Museum of Fine Arts which I would definitely recommend as Seville is culturally so rich and the museum is free which is good for students. Its paintings trace the history of Seville and the influence of different cultures in the city with Moorish and Italian influences in the art.

I cannot recommend Seville enough for anyone who loves cultural city breaks filled with incredible sights, amazing architecture, great food and drinks, and history

Seville is filled with amazing tapas restaurants and bars that are fairly cheap. Some recommendations are Bon Patachón for tapas and Doña Francisquita for paella, but I would advise you just to walk around and find somewhere as there are so many hidden gems. Sangria in Seville is very good and definitely worth getting. We went to a new indie bar called Universal People which did cheap but tasty wine, and a cocktail bar called Travedo which did nice mojitos. If you don’t mind paying a little more and getting more of an experience, go up to the rooftop bar at the Restaurant Panoramico de Eme for the most amazing views of Seville and the Cathedral.

I cannot recommend Seville enough for anyone who loves cultural city breaks filled with incredible sights, amazing architecture, great food and drinks, and history. It is by far my favourite Spanish city and much more of a relaxing getaway than the hustle and bustle of somewhere like Barcelona, so perfect for those who want to relax on a city break.