Highway sign with Politics
image: Nick Youngson, pigpedia.org

Defining the Political Climate: can music help explain how we feel?

We sometimes find ourselves resorting to music to explain how we feel or relate in words we understand when things are tough. Can we do the same for the political climate? With Brexit looming, a new PM, a potential election, rising climate change concerns and so much more, some of our writers chose their top pick of songs to relate to the disarray of the current world.

Question Time – Dave 

Although originally written in address to Theresa May, Dave’s ‘Question Time’ articulates many of the questions the public still desperately want solutions to. Unfortunately, the majority of them remain unanswered and thus they can just as easily be targeted towards the new Prime Minister. Critical issues such as the NHS crisis, the poorly-managed aftermath of Grenfell, and the overwhelming distance in both morality and lifestyle between those in politics and the citizens they are supposed to represent are touched upon in the song.

Perhaps Vampires is a Bit Strong But… – Arctic Monkeys 

‘Perhaps Vampires is a Bit Strong But…’  also contains a multitude of lyrics that are eerily applicable to the state of recent British politics. The main chorus line of “all you people are vampires, I know your stories are stale” can be used to describe the cabinet being formed in the House of Commons right now. It expresses an understandable distrust of those involved in the politics that is ‘sucking’ the life out of the nation.

Similarly, those same politicians are often “thinking about things but not actually doing the things” with the many empty promises being thrown around in an attempt to appease an anxious country. However, the most poignantly relevant lyric of all accurately describes what I imagine much of the country also thought upon Boris Johnson’s appointment as PM: “what is he doing? What on earth’s the plan? Has he got one?” Scarily, it’s not looking good so far.

Global Warming – John Grant

Though currently an overwrought conversation, the recent heatwaves across Europe, and in the UK, were  uncomfortable. These have been a timely reminder that while we squabble over how, why and when we may (or may not) depart from the EU, the much more pressing concern is climate change. John Grant’s ‘Global Warming’ from his dismayed album Grey Tickles, Black Pressure, is a sardonic take on the current situation. His comical refrain that “Global warming is ruining my fair complexion/ Augmenting all my imperfections” highlights what he believes is the real issue facing us all.

Taken on face value the song itself is strange, his obscure and light-hearted lyrics being cut around a booming, brass-like interjection. However, taken in the outraged tone of the album, the invective seems to be rallying against the “slack-jawed troglodytes” who are perhaps not so interested in climate change. Enjoy Grant’s lovely vocals and inventive sound, but also take the song as a nice reminder that there are more pressing issues than just Brexit.

My Queen is Doreen Lawrence – Sons of Kemet

From its very title, Your Queen is a Reptile by jazz outfit Sons of Kemet provides a challenge to not only the monarchy but also the regressive nationalism spreading through the country in recent years. The album’s final track proclaims the activist mother of the murdered Stephen Lawrence as its alternative Queen. Rhythmically and lyrically, the band creates a soundscape which reflects the abiding rage and deep sense of injustice which underpins Miss. Lawrence’s tireless campaigning, an anger that the Sons use as a call to arms.

The drums that open the track marking a sense of drive and purpose before Theon Cross’ tuba bassline seeps through the bottom of the track as an angry, continuous warning. This is followed by Shabaka Hutchings, whose sax explodes with a frenzy filled with reproach, a call to recognise the injustice that still surrounds us, 26 years after Lawrence’s death. Josh Idehen rails against the current political climate crying out “Don’t wanna take my country back mate/I wanna take my country forward”. Encouraged by Cross’ bass and the relentless percussion, Idehen urges us to “belong to something bigger than a Jobcentre queue”. The track is nothing short of a manifesto for revolution.

Check out Boar Music’s playlist for defining the political climate: