Image: Wikimedia Commons/Cardiff Potter
Image: Wikimedia Commons/Cardiff Potter

24-year-old Charles Corcoran switches to Coventry Blaze

The Coventry Blaze have announced the signing of former-Dundee Stars forward Charles Corcoran ahead of the upcoming Elite Ice Hockey League (EIHL) season. The 24-year-old American forward was due to ice for Lyon in 2019/20, but with Les Lions’ participation in the Ligue Magnus – the highest level of professional ice hockey in France – uncertain, Cocoran reversed his decision to depart the EIHL, signing a one-year contract with the Blaze.

The 5’10” centreman played a key role in Dundee’s late push for the playoffs in 2018, recording 16 goals and 36 assists in 60 regular season matches for the Stars. Cocoran began the season, his first as a professional, with two assists in eight Challenge Cup appearances for the Scottish quarter-finalists. 

Corcoran was named MVP during his senior year at Berkshire School

Before arriving in the UK, the Connecticut native iced in the NCAA on 110 occasions for Brown University, contributing 54 points (23 goals/31 assists) during his time on campus. Corcoran was named MVP during his senior year at Berkshire School, posting 111 points while operating as a first-liner for Berkshire. 

With the start of the EIHL season just under three weeks away, Danny Stewart – Head Coach of the Coventry Blaze – will be delighted to have filled the final vacant centre position in his roster. In a statement on the Blaze website, Stewart heaped praise on his new signing, noting that Corcoran “is another young player [on Coventry’s roster] with plenty of [potential]”. 

Corcoran earned plaudits during the second half of last season, becoming one of the most productive forwards in the Elite League

Stewart, who has acknowledged the Blaze’s patient approach to recruitment this offseason, commented that “it was important [Coventry] added some speed and playmaking ability to our line-up”, adding that “when Charles [Corcoran] became available, [Coventry] jumped right on it.

Corcoran earned plaudits during the second half of last season, becoming one of the most productive forwards in the Elite League after the festive period. Corcoran, who scored against the Blaze in Coventry last season, will be looking to recapture the form that saw him score an impressive deked-goal against Team GB netminder Ben Bowns, as Dundee faced Cardiff last December.

The Blaze’s 2019/20 season begins on Saturday 4th September

In response to Corcoran’s transfer to the Blaze, some Dundee fans voiced their disappointment in the American forward’s departure, with many questioning why the Stars were unable to secure Corcoran’s services for a second season. Corcoran’s arrival in Coventry will come as a timely boost for the Blaze as they gear up for the first pre-season fixture of the 2019/20 campaign against Midlands rivals Nottingham on Saturday 24th August at the Motorpoint Arena. 

The Blaze’s 2019/20 season begins on Saturday 4th September, as they visit the hotly-tipped Sheffield Steelers. With time running out before puck drop on the first night of the season, Danny Stewart will be keen to complete his roster, with more news expected to emerge following a meeting with the club’s season ticket holder this Thursday.