Switch Lite models
Credit: Nintendo

Switch Lite Announced

After the failure that was the Wii U, faith in Nintendo’s consoles was at an all time low. The platform had had a disappointing gimmick, and even more disappointing exclusive games. However, on 3 March 2017 Nintendo redeemed themselves with the release of the Switch, a console which blended at-home and out-and-about play into one incredibly compact package. The Switch could be docked and connected to a TV for couch-surfing, or taken further afield with its two detachable Joy-Con controllers, which could be used for two-player games like Mario Kart 8, or the flagship party game 1-2-Switch. A new version, the Switch Lite, may finally convince some disenfranchised fans to upgrade at last.

In a video on July 10th, Nintendo announced the successor to the Switch, the Switch Lite. A console lacking some of the versatility of its big brother, but focusing on handheld play, featuring non-detachable Joy-Cons – with a D-Pad, which has some fans very excited – and a very slightly longer battery life at 7 to 9 hours. Not to mention the $199 price tag, $100 cheaper than the classic Switch. As one of the cheapest handheld consoles out there, especially with the quality assurance that comes with the Switch family of products, the system looks like a very appealing option.

The downside is the Switch Lite does not feature an HDMI port, and cannot be docked to connect to a TV. However, the console will support any and all classic Switch games that can be played in that consoles handheld mode, a library which is already full of classic games and exclusives, including Skyrim and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Online play will still be possible through Nintendo Switch Online or local wireless multiplayer, like the classic Switch.

All in all, the Switch Lite is a console for those who are looking for the experience of the Nintendo Switch, but are not concerned with static play. I am sure this will be an attractive console for many students. Those who may not get a lot of time to sit at home, but can fit a round of Smash in on the bus, or a Breath Of The Wild quest in between lectures. Its reduced price might also entice those that could not quite stretch their budget to fit the more expensive original version.