Image: Marco Conti / Flickr

Students in Dublin should allow more than €13,000 for rent each year, report says

University students who plan to live in rented accommodation in Dublin should allow more than €13,000 to cover an academic year, according to a report.

The Technological University Dublin (TU Dublin)’s annual cost of living guide says that living at home whilst at university could halve expenses, indicating that accommodation is the biggest costs for students. 

TU Dublin estimate that nationally a student living away from home should budget €1,352 per month, totalling around €12,168 for the whole academic year while in Dublin this figure to rises to €1,457 per month or €13,113 for a full term. 

The report outlines that a student living at home should budget €752 per month or €6,771 per year.

According to The Times, Student Universal Support Ireland (Susi) is expected to roll out around 80,000 means-tested grants of between €305 to €5,915 this year to help students with course and other related fees.

Siona Cahill, president of the Union of Students in Ireland, said that the figures presented in the report seemed low. 

“I would say most students are paying between €750 and €1,000 per month in rent. That’s inside or outside student accommodation,” she said. 

Most of the new purpose-built student accommodation in Dublin is luxury accommodation and is unaffordable for ordinary students

– Siona Cahill, President of the Union of Students in Ireland

Ms Cahill said that most student accommodation in Dublin is luxury accommodation and therefore unaffordable for “ordinary students”.

It charges a premium because it provides recreational facilities that aren’t required by students. It is primarily aimed at international students who have taken out loans to come to Ireland for their accommodation.”

The reports claims that rent figures can vary from less than €495 per month for a shared room and up to €1,976 for a one-bedroom unit.

TU’s guide also says how much students should budget per month other than rent. Examples include €168 for food, €135 for travel and €75 for going out. The total budget also includes course fees of €3,000 per year. 

Ms Cahill commented that these costs would be significantly higher if students are required to buy specific materials, such as books, for their course.

Dr Brian Gormley, head of campus life at TU Dublin, advised students that affordable options are available, adding that renting with a host family is the “most economical” of options. 

“Bills are included in the cost, and many hosts also provide optional extras such as a light breakfast and evening meal. In addition, students can opt for a five-day rental agreement if they plan to return home for the weekend.”