Dogs can reduce stress faced by university students, US researchers say

Stress among university students can be reduced by spending time with dogs, according to recent research in the United States.

300 undergraduates participated in a study which found that weekly hour-long sessions with dogs on campus made stressed students at a “high risk of academic failure” or dropping out “feel relaxed and accepted”.

Dr Patricia Pendry, an academic from Washington State University, said her study showed “soothing” sessions with dogs could reduce the negative impact of stress.

“Students most at risk, such as those with mental health issues, showed the most benefit,” Dr Pendry said.

She added that it also helped them concentrate, learn and remember information.

In recent years, universities in both the US and UK have brought in “therapy dogs” on to campus, introducing hourly sessions for students to spend time with them.

As of yet, around 1,000 universities and colleges in the US are using therapy pets.

Students most at risk, such as those with mental health issues, showed the most benefit

– Dr Patricia Pendry

In the UK, universities such as Warwick, Cambridge, University College London (UCL), Swansea, Nottingham Trent, London Metropolitan and others have introduced sessions with dogs for students.

In recent years, the Study Happy Team at Warwick Library have worked with Pets As Therapy (PAT), a charity based in Oxfordshire, creating dog visits for Warwick students.

These sessions aim to “reduce anxiety and boost positive feelings” in the students who attend.

The University of Middlesex had also introduced “canine teaching assistants” as part of the university staff to stop lonely students dropping out.

Professor Nancy Gee, a psychologist at the State University of New York who was also part of the research, told the BBC that although the inner workings of how animals relieve stress levels in humans is unclear, students “ feel calmer and more socially supported, giving them more confidence in their studies”.

She added that even just looking at animals could sometimes create a more positive mood.