Image: Rob Hodgkins / Flickr

Rail firm offers students free travel to Worcester University open day

Free train tickets are being offered by West Midlands Railway to all students going to the University of Worcester’s open day in the autumn.

The scheme follows reports by the BBC that, for disadvantaged students, the cost of travel to open days is dictating and limiting their university applications.

Students can register with the University of Worcester for a voucher for a free ticket for the next open day in September. This can then be used on West Midlands Railway and London Northwestern Railway services.

Jon Harris, of West Midlands Railway, said this pilot scheme formed part of a commitment to making rail travel “accessible for all”.

Additionally, West Midlands Railway has implemented a scheme offering free travel for those going to job interviews and training courses for job seekers.

According to Anne-Marie Canning, director of social mobility at King’s College London, rail fares are a major barrier to widening access to university.

The pilot scheme formed part of a commitment to making rail travel “accessible for all”

– Jon Harris, West Midlands Railway

She told the BBC that when parents were invited to talk about reasons for people not going to university, “the number one problem” was not being able to attend open days and train ticket costs.

High fares especially act as a barrier for families where going to university is “unfamiliar territory”, she added.

Ross Renton, University of Worcester’s pro vice-chancellor, stated that everyone has a “fundamental right to education” and the offer would “help make travel costs less prohibitive”.

The social mobility charity, Villiers Park Educational Trust, also warned that poorer students were limiting their applications to universities based upon which they could afford to visit.

The charity found that young people saw going to university as a major financial commitment and many would not consider applying to a place they had not visited.

Deborah Richardson, the charity’s programme director, commented: “It is unfair. We all know rail fares are phenomenal in this country, particularly if they’re choosing to go at the last minute. Planning an open day in advance isn’t always easy.

We all know rail fares are phenomenal in this country, particularly if they’re choosing to go at the last minute. Planning an open day in advance isn’t always easy

– Deborah Richardson, Villiers Park Educational Trust

“Independent schools will put on a minibus. They’ll take 10 or 15 people to Manchester, Oxford, Cambridge, Newcastle or wherever because they can do it – but not every state school can.”

Sadie, a student from East Sussex, told the BBC that “applying blind” to a university without visiting would be too much of a risk.

“You can’t really get a sense of the environment of the university and whether it’s something that suits you,” she added.

A number of universities already offer means-tested bursaries with regard to open days. For example, The University of Sheffield has provided free overnight accommodation for over 500 students attending open days.

Durham also offers up to £100 towards travel costs for certain applicants and several colleges at Oxford offer support, including Keble, Magdalen and Merton.

A spokesman for the Rail Delivery Group, which represents train operators and Network Rail, said “there are lots of cheap tickets available” to help students get to open days.

“Our range of railcards offer a third off most fares, we’re running double the number of long-distance trains compared to 20 years and we’re introducing thousands of new trains with more seats.”