deprived areas
Image: Pxhere

Increasing number of disadvantaged English students apply to university

An increased number of disadvantaged students from England have applied for university this year, figures released by the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) show.

Across all age groups, more students from deprived areas have submitted applications by the final deadline of 30 June, before Clearing starts. In contrast, less applications have been submitted by students from the most advantaged areas.

This data is first of its kind and is based on the government’s Index of Multiple Deprivation (IMD) as well as the participation of local areas (POLAR) classification.

POLAR classification groups neighbourhoods based on the number of young people in the area progressing to higher education.

IMD-based figures reflect that the number of 18-year-olds from England applying from the most deprived areas, known as quintile 1, has risen by 6% to 38,770 in 2019.

The number of 18-year-olds from England applying from the most deprived areas…has risen by 6% to 38,770 in 2019

The same type of applicants but from the least deprived areas, known as quintile 5, has fallen by 1% to 63,180 this year.

Meanwhile, the number of applications by mature students has fallen, a trend which has been observed since 2012. 

In this age group, the number of quintile 1 applicants have consistently outnumbered that of quintile 5. This phenomenon has been observed in 19-year-old applicants for the first time this year.

In Scotland and Wales, the number of applicants from the most deprived areas has also grown, whilst application numbers from the least deprived areas have fallen.

However, both figures have dropped in Northern Ireland, where the number of applicants from the least deprived areas have declined by 2% further than that of applicants from the most deprived areas.

Overall, the number of 18-year-old university applicants has dropped by 530, 220 and 610 in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland respectively.

UCAS figures also reflect that there are “record numbers” of 18-year-old applicants from black, Asian and mixed race backgrounds, while that of white applicants continues to drop.

The number of applicants from China has risen by 30% to 19,760, which surpasses the 18,520 applicants from Northern Ireland

Furthermore, 40% of school leavers in England have applied for university this year, amounting to 236,350 applications, which is 3,970 more than 2018.

The number of applications across the UK has increased by 2,610 this year to 275,520, which is more than last year but below the 2017 figure of 278,130.

Alistair Jarvis, Chief Executive of Universities UK (UUK), said: “Employer demand for graduates continues to rise – educating more people of all ages at university will grow the economy faster, by increasing productivity, competitiveness, and innovation. Growing the number of graduates will enhance social mobility.”

“Our universities have a well-deserved global reputation for high-quality teaching, learning and research, delivered by talented staff, while students report rising levels of satisfaction with their courses,” he added. 

For EU applicants from all age groups, figures have also risen by 540 to 50,660 this year, and the number of students from outside the EU applying to the UK has increased by 8% to 81,340.

“International students bring huge cultural and economic benefits to the UK,” Universities Minister Chris Skidmore commented.

“These figures show we are making good progress in our ambition to open up world-leading higher education to anyone who has the potential to benefit from it and I’m confident that we can go even further.”

These figures show we are making good progress in our ambition to open up world-leading higher education to anyone who has the potential to benefit from it and I’m confident that we can go even further

– Chris Skidmore

UCAS Chief Executive Clare Marchant also said: “The global appeal of UK higher education has never been clearer, with record demographic-beating application rates in England and Wales, and the steep rise in international applications, especially from China.”

In particular, the number of applicants from China has risen by 30% to 19,760, which surpasses the 18,520 applicants from Northern Ireland.

“It’s clear that the UK is benefiting from cooler relations between China and the US, and also between China and Australia,” said Nick Hillman, director of the Higher Education Policy Institute (HEPI).

He is also a governor at the University of Manchester, which has the highest population of Chinese students and where one in eight students are Chinese.

Mr Hillman added: “We can’t take anything for certain as demand from other countries is very sensitive to all sorts of things but we are clearly gaining advantage at the moment.”

Clearing is now open for applications, meaning “there’s plenty of choice for everyone at the end of the year”, Ms Marchant stated.

“The post-qualification application route is available as a plan A for many, with over 17,500 using it to apply with results in hand last year.”

She continued: “There are opportunities for a new direction on over 30,000 courses at ucas.com, for anyone who’s already applied and now wants to change their mind, as we’ve streamlined the process for those reconsidering their original choices.”