academics
Image: Wikimedia Commons

UK academics threaten strikes in autumn over pension dispute

University students across Britain may be faced with a second bout of cancelled lectures as academics threaten strikes over the University and College Union (UCU) pension upset. The UCU is a representative body for UK academics.

69 vice-chancellors received a letter this week from the UCU stating strike action will occur this autumn if they fail to comply with demands. The union and Universities UK (UUK) have been in conflict over proposed pension reforms to accommodate a reported deficit and rising benefit costs.

Last spring, lectures were cancelled or disrupted in over 60 universities for a total of 14 strike days, spread over a four week period.

The battle concerns the proposals that the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) would change from a ‘defined benefit scheme’ to a ‘defined contribution scheme’.

The change in schemes would result in academics’ pensions being vulnerable to fluctuation in the stock market instead of a guaranteed sum at retirement.

There have been three options proposed by the USS in order to settle the conflict with UCU. These options all involve an increased contribution from members of the scheme alongside an increased contribution rate by employers.

Paul Bridge, UCU’s head of higher education has told universities that the union is “running out of patience”, affirming that there must be “no increases in contributions and no cut to pension benefits”.

Bridge continues with the declaration within his letter to the USS: “If I do not have your affirmative response by 19 June 2019, UCU will consider a trade dispute to exist between your institution and your employees/our members regarding this matter.”

The union’s higher education committee has made arrangements to meet later this month to discuss a response and their next steps following this dispute.