Image: Wikimedia Commons/Koen Suyk
Image: Wikimedia Commons/Koen Suyk

Formula 1 driver Niki Lauda and his incredible career story

Racing legend Niki Lauda, winner of 3 F1 world championships and racer for McLaren and Ferrari, sadly passed away at 70. The world of sport mourns a man who has one of the most incredible comeback stories of all time. Lauda managed to defy death the first time around over 40 years earlier.

In 1976, the F1 world championships were in full flow and by the midway point, a clear favourite had emerged. Already the reigning world champion, Lauda in his Ferrari was taking control of the title race for a successive year. Lauda was on course for breaking the record for most race wins in a single season. It seemed a formality that he should claim his second world title, but fate had other ideas. In only the second lap of the German Grand Prix Lauda’s car lost control and veered off the track. It crashed into the embankment following a collision with another car. The Ferrari burst into flames with Lauda trapped inside. He was pulled from the burning vehicle but not before he had been near-fatally burned and inhaled toxic fumes.

Lauda insisted returning after only missing two races

Lauda subsequently slipped into a coma and was hurriedly airlifted to hospital. He endured six weeks of excruciating reconstructive surgery to the skin on his face and for the damage done to his lungs. All the while watching the world title slip away from his grasp whilst he lay powerlessly in bed. Most might not have returned to the driving seat of any car ever again after such an accident, but Lauda insisted returning after only missing two races.

Remarkably, Lauda was able to hand on to the lead of the world championships right until the final race. Despite Lauda not being able to blink properly and being wrapped in blood-soaked bandages whilst inside the cockpit. On the final day, he was forced to retire and lost the title to British rival James Hunt by a single point in Japan. However, he had arguably achieved something much greater by triumphing over death itself and returning to the sport like it was nothing. Compare that to some footballers who break a nail and are out for six months, Lauda was trapped in a burning car for over a minute and was back in 6 weeks.

In 1977 he returned stronger than ever and claimed his second world title

That wasn’t all for the indefatigable Austrian, the following season in 1977 he returned stronger than ever and claimed his second world title. This same powerful spirit would then see him fall out with Ferrari and switch to Brabus in 1978. He fought for drivers’ rights in motorsport by leading protests against safety regulations and unfair pay. Lauda even went into retirement from motorsport briefly from 1979-1982, until a lucrative offer from McLaren lured him back to the grid. He added a 3rd and final title to his collection in 1984 then bowed out for good 2 years later.

Until his death in May this year, he remained an active member of the Formula 1 community behind the scenes. He used his insatiable passion for excellence to drive Mercedes to multiple world titles as non-executive team chairman. Lauda remained a winner and a champion right until the day he died, surrounded by those he loved at home. A fitting end for a man who refused to give in and changed the course of history with his spectacular achievements in his field.