First year/ Image: Unsplash

First year has flown by

Two years ago, I was sat alone on the piazza eating a soggy cheese sandwich. The weather was grey and I was visiting the open day. I didn’t think much of Warwick – I was in a bad mood that day. I travelled back to Essex, not convinced by the university. Once I checked the league tables, I was sold. A shallow approach, I know. But I could never have predicted how much fun I’d have as a Warwick fresher and how quickly my first year would fly by.

My first circle was a scary experience… Zumi who?

Arriving at university was daunting. I had no idea what to expect. Would everyone be posh? Would everyone be friendly? And was there somewhere on campus for me to get nice bread and coffee? Not everyone was posh, most people were friendly, but I still haven’t found anywhere to buy proper, fresh bread! I hit it off with my flat straight away; we were all nervous, but by the end of the first week, we were mates. I joined ten societies (most of which I didn’t get involved in) and threw myself into my course. My fresher’s diary was packed, I hardly stopped in the first week: welcome lectures, society presentations and a few big nights too. My first circle was a scary experience… Zumi who? I soon grew to love purple and POP!, not forgetting Disco Dave.

I don’t think I have any regrets from first year, except visiting the chip van one too many times (they now know my order). I probably also purchased far too many packs of sweets from Rootes at extortionate prices. My most daunting moment was the first day – it all seemed to fall into place after that.

The bubble is comforting, but it’s nice to step out of your comfort-zone sometimes

Pretty early on, I got two jobs: working in a local school and in the campus library. These helped me to fill my time. With an eight-hour timetable, I needed to ensure I kept myself busy. My school job meant I got to explore the local area, cycling into Coventry every week. This helped me to break the bubble that comes with a campus university. The bubble is comforting, but it’s nice to step out of your comfort-zone sometimes. I went home a few times a term, which was nice, but I always liked coming back to campus.

My favourite moments from the past year revolve around university societies. Getting involved with RAW from the very first day meant I got to meet loads of likeminded people. It meant I could mess about on the radio and play as many Sugarbabes songs as I wanted. In hindsight, I probably ‘pushed the button’ a bit too much! I got involved with Warwick Politics Society as well – they’ve put on many interesting events and enjoyable socials. If I had one piece of advice to give to a fresher next year, I’d say get involved in societies – they’re the best way to meet friends with similar interests and hobbies.

I’m proud of how much I have got stuck-in to university life

Next year will be fun. I think living in a house of four will be more tight-knit that a flat of nine. I’m looking forward to not having to worry about settling into university – I can just enjoy it from day one. I can pick more modules for my course that relate to my interests. And I can get even more involved in societies.

Thinking back to that grey day sat on the stone-cold piazza, I’m proud of how much I have got stuck-in to university life. I could never have predicted the fun I would have and the memories I have made. The next two years will be challenging, but enjoyable, and, if they’re anything like my first year, they’ll fly by too.