German Shephard dog with a human hand on its collar.

Stratford Literary Festival: Angela Gallop on ‘When the Dogs Don’t Bark’

Interviewed by Julia Wheeler in the auditorium of the Stratford Playhouse, Angela Gallop talked on her career as a forensic scientist and the struggles that were involved leading up to the creation of her own forensic science firm. Opening on her admittance that she has never watched any of the (many) drama shows that involve forensic science, Gallop expressed her desire to differentiate between fact and fiction. That included fact and fictions of cases, as well as of the reality of her role, highlighting how the job is significantly more collaborative than perhaps portrayed.

One story inspired shakes of the head and signs of outraged disbelief from the audience: talking of her first boss, Gallop divulged his sexist outlook that he openly revealed when suggesting that he didn’t believe women should perform the role that she had taken on. Whoever that man was has truly been proven wrong, as evident from the prolific and successful career she went on to have.

Even with the sombre topics being covered, the author elicited laughs from the audience as she listed off an extensive list of blood patterns, from splatters to mists to spatters and beyond

Gallop’s remarkable career even had a riveting beginning as the first crime scene she attended was that of a victim of the Yorkshire Ripper in 1978. Reflecting on the difference between the cases she took on back in the 1970s and the more contemporary ones she has worked, the sheer importance of the discovery of DNA in solving cases was emphasised.

When asked about high-profile cases that would not have been solved without the knowledge of DNA that was developed, the cases of Stephen Lawrence and the Coastal Murders were brought up. There was a humbled atmosphere in the room as Gallop recounted exactly how minute the evidence that became the key to the two cases really was, evidence that would have proved hopeless before the advancement in DNA understanding.

Even with the sombre topics being covered, the author elicited laughs from the audience as she listed off an extensive list of blood patterns, from splatters to mists to spatters and beyond. She then moved on to explain the purpose of the firm she opened, which focused on providing impartial forensic advice for the side of the defence rather than the prosecution. The title of When the Dogs Don’t Bark encompasses this as she spoke of how the absence of the barks of evidence-seeking dogs would be just as telling as if they did bark, something she tended to focus on in cases.

Upon seeing a victim, her primary focus would be to achieve justice for them by ascertaining exactly what happened impartially

I plucked up the courage to ask a question that had been playing on my mind throughout the talk: did she take any aspects of what is clearly a demanding job back home with her, or did she try and maintain boundaries between the two spheres? She answered that upon seeing a victim, her primary focus would be to achieve justice for them by ascertaining exactly what happened impartially. This, she said, helped a lot in distancing herself emotionally from cases and looking at things objectively.

A riveting and intriguing talk from an inspiring woman, the hour of Angela Gallop left the audience in awe of the impact that her work has had. From providing essential evidence in cases to working on the side of those not typically represented, Gallop’s career has affected the lives of so many. Perhaps most impressively, as was evident throughout the event, she has remained modest despite the magnitude of her achievements and continues to be dedicated to offering the chance at a fair justice for all.