Image: Ian Lees / Wikimedia Commons

Anti-abortion group approved at University of Aberdeen amid legal action

An anti-abortion group at the University of Aberdeen has won a presence on campus after launching legal action against the university and its student association for alleged “unlawful discrimination”.

Aberdeen Life Ethics Society (ALES) have had their affiliation approved by the Aberdeen University Students’ Association (AUSA), who previously rejected their application.

The society’s affiliation was originally refused as AUSA had a pro-choice policy, backing legal access to abortion and stating that “no platform” should to be given to groups with a conflict of interest.

ALES said that the policy of “deplatforming pro-life student societies” violates equality and human rights laws.

The group announced plans to sue the university and the student association for alleged “discriminatory treatment” after their funding was refused. In April, ALES took  legal action following “repeated efforts to resolve this problem through internal bureaucratic channels”.

AUSA’s pro-choice policy has now been suspended and ALES has received official affiliation status. The society is still pursuing legal action.

The society’s approval follows a number of bans on student anti-abortion groups being lifted by students’ unions.

This is a long-awaited result to a seemingly endless battle, but we could not be more pleased

– Aberdeen Life Ethics Society

At the University of Strathclyde, a ban on anti-abortion groups was lifted in October last year amid concerns surrounding free speech. Additionally, at the University of Birmingham a pro-life group’s application for affiliation was approved after being deferred multiple times previously.

“Birmingham Students for Choice Association”, a pro-choice group, has since been set up and the group has sent an application for affiliation to the Students’ Guild.

Similarly, at the University of Glasgow a pro-choice group was created after “Glasgow Students for Life” (GSL) was given affiliation by the Glasgow University Students’ Representative Council (GUSRC) earlier this year.

GSL’s application approval also followed a legal battle after being denied affiliation last year.

ALES said in a statement: “AUSA informed us that our society application has been approved, which means we have officially received affiliation.

“This is a long-awaited result to a seemingly endless battle, but we could not be more pleased.”

An AUSA spokesperson said: “We can confirm that an application to affiliate was received from Aberdeen Life and Ethics Society and was subsequently approved on the 13th of May.

AUSA’s Pro-Choice policy remains under suspension and steps are being taken to ensure that AUSA can continue to be pro-choice

– Aberdeen University Students’ Association

“AUSA’s Pro-Choice policy remains under suspension and steps are being taken to ensure that AUSA can continue to be pro-choice.”

A University of Aberdeen spokesperson stated: “The university is an inclusive community and recognises different beliefs, values and cultures. Student societies and clubs sit with the Aberdeen University Students’ Association.”

The topic of abortion has been much debated since the beginning of the year as multiple states in the US have signed bills restricting the procedure.

Earlier this year, nearly 30 states introduced some form of abortion ban in their legislature. 15 are working with “heartbeat bills” which seek to make abortion illegal as soon as a heartbeat is detectable. 

This month, Alabama banned abortion in all cases except from when the mother’s life is at risk. This includes a ban on abortion in cases of rape or incest.

Under Alabama’s law, physicians who provide abortions could be imprisoned for up to 99 years. A woman seeking the procedure would not be criminally liable.

Alabama’s governor, Kay Ivey, said in a statement issued alongside a photo of her signing the bill: “To the bill’s many supporters, this legislation stands as a powerful testament to Alabamians’ deeply held belief that every life is precious and that every life is a sacred gift from God.”

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and Planned Parenthood have sued Alabama, calling the “extreme” law a “manmade public health emergency”.