Image: Warwick Media Library

Sports and Wellness Hub parking costs almost twice more than Sports Centre parking

Full-day parking for students and members of the public for the University of Warwick’s new Sports and Wellness Hub now costs almost twice as much as the price for parking at the Warwick Sports Centre.

It costs £4.80 to park for four hours outside the Sports Hub whereas parking outside the Sports Centre costs half the price. The Sports Hub car park further charges £2.50 for every hour on top of the four hours, while Sports Centre parking is priced at £5 for the whole day.

Moreover, weekend parking is free at the Sports Centre, but subject to fees at the Sports Hub.

According to the University’s car parking webpage, the Sports Hub “operates on an alternative tariff”. “Flexi-pay” scratch cards for “pay and display” parking spaces are not accepted at the Sports Hub car park.

The University justified the different pricing at the Sports Hub as “the 200 spaces in the new car park are designed specifically to serve the new sports hub”.

“We want to prevent it simply being used as an overflow car park for the rest of campus with people then taking up spaces that should only be for users of the hub,” they explained.

“The pricing is therefore designed to discourage parking over four hours, which should cover the vast majority of Hub users’ needs and maintain a high turnover of parking places for Hub users.

We want to prevent it simply being used as an overflow car park for the rest of campus with people then taking up spaces that should only be for users of the hub

– The University of Warwick

“In July a further car park will open directly opposite the hub which will be subjected to the same charges as all other campus car parks.”

The new Sports Hub officially opened last week on 15 April. The Boar asked the University about their plans for the Sports Centre in the future.

They replied: “In the first instance it will be used for exam space. Any future usage will be decided on soon and announced later in the year.”

In addition to the new Sports Hub car park, more developments on parking are set for the future, including one at Cryfield Village, the new student accommodation hall to replace Redfern.

The University also explained that “alternative car parking provisions” will be provided soon for visitors to the Arts Centre, the road outside which has been recently closed off.

Signs closing off the section of University Road. (Image: Evianne Suen / The Boar)

The closed road outside the Warwick Arts Centre. (Image: Evianne Suen / The Boar)

Since its closure, concerns regarding car accessibility on campus have been raised in addition to the aforementioned pricing outside the Sports and Wellness Hub.

The Boar asked the University how long said section of University Road will be closed. They responded: “Whilst the road outside of the Warwick Arts Centre will be closed to enable Warwick 20:20 Project expansion of the Centre, the Piazza will remain open and used for the same functions as before.”

As for the Arts Centre, it “will remain open throughout the continuation of the building project”. They added that everyone “is encouraged to come in and explore the new spaces”.

Graduation ceremonies will also “continue to take place in the Butterworth Hall, with the same range of services and facilities available close-by”.