Image: Rick Dikeman/ Wikimedia Commons
Image: Rick Dikeman/ Wikimedia Commons

Formula 1 and it’s 1000th race at the Chinese Grand Prix

As the Formula 1 circus rolls into Shanghai for its 1000th Grand Prix, all eyes will be on Ferrari as Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel seek redemption following a gut-wrenching weekend for the team in Bahrain. Despite Mercedes being unable to keep pace with the Ferrari’s all weekend, it was Lewis Hamilton who took the chequered flag in Bahrain. Both Hamilton and, the World Championship-leading, Valtteri Bottas performed impeccably in Bahrain, but it was Charles Leclerc who stole the show.

The Monégasque starlet was in incredible form in Bahrain. Leclerc dominated all three practice sessions and then took pole position with relative ease. Sebastian Vettel couldn’t keep up with his junior teammate, and if Q3 didn’t prove it: Sunday’s race did. Had Leclerc not been foiled by engine failure just nine laps from the end of the Grand Prix, the Monégasque driver would have inflicted one of Ferrari’s most dominant weekends in a decade.

The Shanghai circuit is one that suits Ferrari perfectly

It wasn’t to be for Leclerc in Bahrain, but his showing last time out send him to Shanghai with the wind in his sails. Vettel, who span to a fifth-place finish in China, has reason to feel uneasy. His era at the top of the sport might have ended when he joined Ferrari, but his position as the team’s lead driver now seems far from secure. The Shanghai circuit is one that suits Ferrari perfectly. Long straights and long spells of DRS activation: the rest of the field will likely struggle to keep pace with the Ferrari’s once again. Williams are once again expected to be left adrift at the back of the pack: Russell and Kubica will not be looking forward to this one.

So, if the pack is to be bookended by Ferrari and Williams: what are we to make of the midfield? Carlos Sainz, Antonio Giovinzzi and Romain Grosjean will also be hoping to secure their first points of the 2019 season, with Haas especially desperate to make up for the errors they made in Bahrain. Once again, Grosjean has started the season in an erratic fashion.

Both Toro Rosso and Racing Point sit on three points each in the Constructors’ standings

Danni Riccardo, pointless so far this season will be desperate to secure his first points at Renault. Nico Hulkenberg has dominated the Australian so far this season; there is potential for the tides to turn at a track where Riccardo has been successful before.

Both Toro Rosso and Racing Point sit on three points each in the Constructors’ standings going into the third race of the season, and it is likely that Stroll, Albon, Kyvat and Perez will be among the group battling to break into the points come the closing stages of the race this Sunday. If Toro Rosso and Racing Point are able to put a reliable car on the grid for their drivers they should be okay this weekend.

Lando Norris has started his debut season brilliantly for McLaren

Fans of McLaren, Haas and Alfa Romeo will be content with the season thus far. Sainz, Giovinazzi and Grosjean are pointless, but they won’t be for much longer. Lando Norris has started his debut season brilliantly for McLaren, Magnussen is performing as expected in the Haas and Kimi Raikkonen seems to be enjoying life with Alfa Romeo. The Finn is well-placed to win the midfield battle. Red Bull, providing they are able to get Pierre Gasly into Q3, should run clear of the midfield. Max Verstappen will once again fly the flag for Christian Horner – and I expect the Dutchman to continue to relish his new status as Red Bull’s unquestioned main man.

Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas gave Toto Wolf an unexpected gift in Bahrain; it would be remarkable if Mercedes are able to secure a 1-2 for a second time in a row. The battle between Hamilton and Bottas will be worth watching, the Finn looks determined to break free from the supporting role he has fulfilled so far at Mercedes: a World Champion in the making, perhaps?

Vettel absolutely must win in China, but I don’t think he will

Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel will arrive in China in the fastest car, the pressure will be on Ferrari to deliver this time out. Vettel has not looked comfortable so far this season, the mistakes are starting to mount up and the German won’t have enjoyed watching Leclerc dominate in Bahrain. Vettel absolutely must win in China, but I don’t think he will.

Engine failure stole the victory from Leclerc in Bahrain. If he is able to carry his blistering pace to Shanghai, the Monégasque driver will surely take the chequered flag. Charles Leclerc’s first Grand Prix victory at Formula 1’s 1,000th race? Don’t rule it out.