Man United ripped apart by Wolves in the FA Cup quarter-final

Speaking ahead of the FA Cup quarter-final against Manchester United, Wolves Captain Conor Coady remarked he wanted this team “to make history”. In the build-up, Molineux was greeted with shimmering gold flags and a match-side appearance by club legend Steve Bull. As the customary rendition of Hi Ho Silver Lining belted out before kick-off, history was in the making.

Wolves lined up in their familiar 3-4-1-2 formation. Saiss retained his spot after an impressive performance against Chelsea, and cup goalkeeper John Ruddy replaced Rui Patricio. For the Red Devils, Herrera, Lingard and Martial were brought back from injuries.

Man United had a couple of long-range efforts

The match began sedately enough, with both teams passing the ball around. Man United had a couple of long-range efforts which untroubled Ruddy, but the best moment of the half occurred on the cusp of half-time. Picking the ball up in the middle of the park, Neves played a defence-splitting pass. Diego Jota raced through, but Sergio Romero came out impressively to deny him.

In the second half, Wolves might have expected Man United to up the intensity. Despite a bright first few minutes, they fell back to a largely lethargic tempo. Wolves took the initiative – Coady spraying passes out wide and the full backs getting forward at every opportunity.

As the ball bounced around in the box, Jimenez swivelled and lashed the ball into the net

The decisive moment came in the 70thminute. The effervescent Moutinho jinked between two United players and picked out Jimenez in the box. The moment seemed lost as Jimenez was surrounded. As the ball bounced around in the box, Jimenez swivelled and lashed the ball into the net – finally breaking Romero’s resistance.

The goal only spurred Wolves forward. Five minutes later, in typical counterattacking fashion, Wolves broke from a Man United corner. From the clearance, Neves flicked the ball to Jota just inside the Man United half. Still with work to do, Jota’s strength and skill left Luke Shaw on a heap on the floor. Breaking into the box, Jota smashed the ball past the helpless Romero with Lindelof trailing in his wake. Chants of Diogo (it’s not Diego) reverberated round all four corners of the ground.

Wolves looked like the more intense team

Even as the Red Devils looked to get back in the game, Wolves looked like the more intense team – snapping into tackles, swarming the ball and chasing lost causes. There was late drama. First a red card for Lindelof after a sliding tackle, which was ultimately rescinded by VAR. Rashford’s goal in the dying seconds of stoppage time was not enough to spoil the party. Indeed, there was barely time for kick-off before the whistle blew again for full time.

This was a display of discipline, ferocity and invention orchestrated by Wolves’ manager Nuno Espirito Santo. Neves’ positional awareness complemented Moutino’s mastery over a midfield including a frustrated Pogba. Jimenez and Jota’s linkup play was telepathic, whilst Boly coolly dispelled any United attack. John Ruddy must have surely thought he would have been tested more.

Romero was United’s best player

On the other side, stand-in goalkeeper Romero was United’s best player – who were condemned to a second straight defeat under Solskjaer. Their attention now turns to the battle for top four, and a Champions League quarter-final against Barcelona. However, they will be kicking themselves with the FA Cup seeming their most likely chance of silverware.

If United have been slumbering giants post-Ferguson, Wolves have emerged from somewhere far deeper. Their last FA Cup semi-final was in 1998. They last tasted success in this competition in the 1959/60 season, almost sixty years ago. Older fans, recalling that golden era, suggest this current crop is as good as anything seen since those days of Billy Wright and Stan Cullis.

Wolves and Watford will both see this as a chance to get to the final, where anything is possible

Wolves are through to a Wembley semi-final encounter with Watford – who are just one point and one place behind Wolves in the league. Man City take on Brighton in the other semi-final. Whilst the sky-blue team from Manchester are in the draw, they remain odds on favourites. But Wolves and Watford will both see this as a chance to get to the final, where anything is possible.

Coady wanted this team to be remembered. Now the gleam of silverware is in sight. The honour’s books are faded, trophies dusty from a bygone age. But as Wolves ripped through Man United, they look keen to add another chapter to their illustrious history.