Government outlines plans to increase international student numbers

The UK government has published a new strategy outlining plans to boost international student numbers by 30%.

Figures from the Department for Education state that there are currently 460,000 overseas students in UK higher education, generating £20 billion annually. It is hoped that the number will increase to 600,000 by 2030 and generate a 75% increase of income to £35 billion.

The plans focus on growing existing markets such as Europe as well as raising the profile of the UK education sector globally in regions such as in Asia, Africa and Latin America.

Strategies to maximise the potential of UK education exports abroad include improving data on education exports to enhance performance and appointing a new International Education Champion whose role will be to develop strong partnerships and tackle challenges across the world.

Furthermore, the post-study leave period will be extended to six months for undergraduate and masters students and a year for all doctoral students.

The Financial Times reported that there has been an increased interest from overseas students for UK business schools which has been attributed to depreciation in the pound post-Brexit and the resultant cheaper UK tuition fees in comparison to US business schools.

Although there is still a high demand for a world renowned British education, The Financial Times also reported that the main concern of Europeans regarded the student visa process becoming increasingly complicated.

As we prepare to leave the EU it is more important than ever to reach out to our global partners and maximise the potential of our best assets

– Damian Hinds, Education Secretary

Damian Hinds, Education Secretary, said: “The UK’s education system is world-leading and its reputation is the envy of many countries around the globe.

“As we prepare to leave the EU it is more important than ever to reach out to our global partners and maximise the potential of our best assets – that includes our education offer and the international students this attracts.”

He added: “There is no limit to our potential and this strategy will help cement our status as a world-leader in education, while creating real benefits for the country and students across the globe.”

Professor Dame Janet Beer, President of Universities UK, said: “I strongly welcome the publication of this strategy as a signal of a change in direction. I particularly welcome the ambitious target to grow the number of international students to 600,000 by 2030 which sends a strong message of welcome.”

Lesley Davies OBE, Chair UK Skills Partnership, said: “We welcome the commitment made by the government to play a more active role in supporting the UK’s skills sector international business and we stand ready to deliver on this important agenda.”

According to The Times of India however, Indian students in the UK have said that the plans do not go far enough. Sanam Arora, founder and chairperson of the National Indian Students & Alumni Union (NISAU) UK, commented that the new rules were too minor to have a real impact.

Ms Arora said: “A post-study work visa is absolutely necessary, otherwise, Britain’s already diminishing pie in the overall numbers of Indian students going abroad will continue to fall”.

Alex Usher, Canadian-based HE consultant, tweeted that the strategy is unwise while UK politics is in a state of “omnishambles”.

Other stakeholders have told The PIE  that although plans are “commendable”, questions around Brexit and the future mean it is “premature” to set numerical targets.