Image: Wikimedia Commons/Jokim
Image: Wikimedia Commons/Jokim

Pandemonium in Coventry as the Blaze send EIHL over the Irish Sea

The Coventry Blaze stunned Cardiff Devils in the Blaze’s penultimate fixture of the EIHL regular season. Coventry Blaze denied Cardiff a third successive league title, seeing the Belfast Giants crowned champions instead. The Skydome Arena hosted its largest crowd of the season as Danny Stewart’s squad beat the league-leaders 3-1 just a day after the Blaze secured their place in the playoffs.

Just 24 hours after beating the Manchester Strom in a do-or-die contest to secure the final place in the EIHL playoffs, the Blaze got off to an almost perfect start against Cardiff on Saturday, taking the league after just 3 minutes. Norwegian defenceman, Nicolai Bryhnsiveen surged down the left wing and fired a speculative effort past Ben Bowns for his twelfth goal of the season.

On a night where the referees tried to allow the game to flow, the Skydome crowd was in fine voice as chants of “Blaze” and “Devils” rallied between the two sets of supporters. Blaze talisman, Ben Lake – an aggressive forward under normal circumstances – was sent to the penalty box with Charles Linglet after nine minutes for roughing, buoyed on by the boisterous atmosphere in the arena.

Even after the first period, few in the Skydome expected the home side to see-off their visitors

The Blaze entered the first interval with their 1-0 lead in-tact, as nervous energy descended across the Skydome Arena. The Cardiff Devils’ large travelling support would have arrived in Coventry expecting their side to dominate, making their quality show on an evening that should have seen them clinch their third successive league title. Even after the first period, few in the Skydome expected the home side to see-off their visitors.

Just 61 seconds into the second period, a tidal wave of euphoria crashed across the Skydome Arena as David Clements fired the Blaze to a two-goal lead. The once deafening Devils support watched-on stunned as the Blaze out-fought the visitors in what many consider the biggest upset of the season.

The Blaze would have been forgiven for letting tired legs and tired minds get the best of them against Cardiff, having already pulled off an almighty coup in Manchester just 24 hours earlier, but the home side had no intentions of letting the opportunity to ruin the Devils’ night to pass them by.

With Cardiff pushing for their golden, title-winning goal the game became increasingly stretched

Sam Duggan, a youth international for Team GB, pulled a goal back for the Devils after 28 minutes to halve the deficit, but that was all the Devils could muster in the second period, repeatedly thwarted by the eccentric Matt Hackett in the Blaze net.

The third period began with the Devils on the front foot, pressing for the all-important equaliser that would have secured the Welsh side the title. Unfortunately for the visitors, it was Matt Hackett’s night, with the American shot-stopper putting-on a lesson in netminding as he scooped his second Man of the Match award in as many days.

With Cardiff pushing for their golden, title-winning goal the game became increasingly stretched, and it wasn’t long before the Devils paid the ultimate prize. Thom Flodqvist, charging through the blue line on a one-man mission for goal, sent the Skydome into delirium as he was hauled down by a scrambling Cardiff defenceman.

For those in blue, it was a night of pure, undulated joy

A penalty shot to put Cardiff’s title hopes to bed? It was missed by the Swede; the Devils’ title hopes remained intact.

Of course, it was Ben Lake, sinbinned in the first period for roughing, who provided the killer blow for the Blaze with moments to spare. With Cardiff goalie, Ben Bowns, pulled to the bench to allow the Devils’ to attack with an extra skater, the goal was left gapping for Ben Lake to register the empty-netted goal that would send the Skydome into raptures. For those in blue, it was a night of pure, undulated joy; for those in red, defeat in Coventry will be recorded as an almighty missed opportunity.

The Coventry Blaze, just two days ago very much at risk of missing out on the playoffs altogether, gave their fans a night to remember when it most mattered. Two nights, two earth-shatteringly important victories for the Blaze. Danny Stewart, start the bounce.