The Boar

Women’s Lacrosse manages to defeat Coventry once again

For the first time in over three years, our Women’s Lacrosse team had the chance to defend Warwick’s reigning title of 28 years in a 60 minute showdown against Coventry. Cov 1s against our players made up of 2s, 3s and the Development girls saw a final result of 12-9 to Warwick.

In the first seven minutes, Willa Ferrabee passed to Lydia Owen-Morrell, driving the ball through midfield and breaking through four defences before scoring our first goal of the game. By the end of the first quarter, we celebrated a confident 3-1. The crowd taking several photos on the sidelines while our girls took a breather.

Although it was clear we had the upper hand, it seemed Coventry was never far behind.

Gemma kicked off the second quarter by breaking through midfield again clearing a straight path for goal and scoring. Alice Whitehead quickly following suit so that we were already at 5-1. After a beautiful save from our goalie, Beatrice Petrescu, Coventry’s number 13 managed to snag the ball back taking the score to 5-2. Although it was clear we had the upper hand, it seemed Coventry was never far behind. This brought about more tension than last year’s men’s game. Lucky for us, Stephanie Courtney scored from the fan just before half time reviving the team’s confidence.  

After a pop-in-shot by Stephanie and a goal by Hannah Leek, Coventry decided to match their pace taking the score to 7-4. Coventry’s player number 2 injured her leg and our referees, Millie Geddes and India Mackay, were forced to call for injury time. This gave our girls a chance for a quick pep talk and for the spectators to grab more drinks and pull off some layers  in the surprisingly hot February sun.  

We found ourselves faced with a 10-9 score, threatening our chance for glory.

The final quarter saw a collision between Stephanie and Coventry’s number 15, knocking both to the ground. Within seconds they were on their feet, eager to continue play, with Steph bringing it back with another goal. Coventry’s number 14 managed to slice through our defence, and soon we found ourselves faced with a 10-9 score, threatening our chance for glory. The game picked up speed as Stephanie drove the ball straight from the draw to goal, giving Warwick an extra leg-up towards the end of the match. From behind the goal, Gemma Webb turned the game in our favour and scored the winning goal. With another close save by Beatrice there are cheers all round as we gave a sigh of relief with the realisation that we had defeated Coventry once again.