Tim Nunan
Tim Nunan

Men’s Rugby Union trash Coventry in Varsity

After the absence of the men’s rugby union varsity fixture last year, there was added motivation and pressure behind this year’s instalment. The pressure showed in the first 20 minutes, with neither team wanting to play an overly risky game and gift the opposition any points. As the game grew, so did the Warwick pack, as they proceeded to exert their dominance over the opposition.

Some superb line-out and maul play in the Coventry 22 resulted in a try for fleet-footed hooker Ed Pasfield. Fly-Half Tom Fieldsend converted the try and added a penalty soon after to make it 10-0. Coventry threatened to bring themselves back on level terms with some sustained attacking play. But a well-drilled Warwick defence held-out the onslaught and it remained 10-0 at the break.

Excellent defence work from Warwick’s Matt Key and captain Rob Webster, in particular, kept Coventry scoreless.

Whilst the first 40 minutes was a close affair, the second half proved to be less so. Warwick’s offensive weapons grew into the game, with George Gomersall, Jake Howard and Ed Pasfield all breaking the defensive line on numerous occasions. On the back of excellent phase play, swift handling from the Warwick backs produced a try for Full-Back Ben Leuffen-Gallagher in the corner, again converted by the metronomic Fieldsend.

Coventry continued to threaten throughout the half, but an over-reliance in their inside-centre coupled with excellent defence work from Warwick’s Matt Key and captain Rob Webster, in particular, kept Coventry scoreless. A smart line from George Gomersall late on gave Warwick their third try, and in the dying moments, Coventry grabbed a consolation try with the result already confirmed. Praising his side’s 27-5 victory after the match, Warwick captain Webster said: “We gave a great account of ourselves today. I’m really proud of all 23 guys who have worked so hard all season for this moment.”