Image: Singha94/Wikimedia Commons
Image: Singha94/Wikimedia Commons

Emery’s Arsenal: The downfall of a Champions League institution

The London Stadium hasn’t been a particularly happy hunting ground for West Ham since their move away from Upton Park, but January 12th brought a rare cacophony of celebration to the streets of Stratford. Manuel Pellegrini’s side looked in total control as they dispatched of a faltering Arsenal team by a goal to nil, a defeat that poses more questions than answers about Unai Emery’s first year in English football.
The mood around the Emirates has changed since Charlie Austin ended the Gunners’ 22-match unbeaten streak, ending a run that stretched from August to December. While Arsenal had been successful in assembling an impressive record in terms of results, questions about Arsenal’s overall performances remained.

Mesut Özil’s conspicuous absence from first team duties in recent weeks has posed an existential question for Arsenal: what is happening to the Club’s identity, and what does that mean for the future of the Club?

Since Arsenal’s unbeaten run was ended by Southampton, they have since lost against Tottenham, Liverpool and West Ham, while also falling to a 1-1 draw against Brighton & Hove Albion. Unai Emery has either sought to capture the festive mood by gifting the opposition with points over the Christmas period, or Arsenal are entering a familiar slide that could threaten the Club’s future.

While their net-spend lagged behind Brighton

In a recent press-conference, Emery dampened the prospect of Arsenal making any bold signings in January, admitting that the only possible additions to his squad come in the form of loan deals. Since moving to the Emirates, Arsenal have tightened the purse-strings – in recent years they have been outspent by both Manchester clubs, London rivals Chelsea and current league-leaders Liverpool. Last summer, Arsenal were also outspent by Fulham, West Ham, Leicester and Everton – while their net spend lagged behind Chris Hughton’s Brighton.

This isn’t to say that the amount spent on transfers always translates into success, Fulham provide us with a clear case study for this, but a club of Arsenal’s stature needs to be doing more to keep up – especially if they remain unable to keep their best players at the club. Aaron Ramsey seems determined to leave Arsenal in the summer for Juventus, joining a host of Arsenal alumni in leaving a club that has been moving backwards for several seasons.

Tottenham have proven that it can pay to be frugal in the transfer market, the core of the Spurs team was built cheaply or grown from scratch – it can be done under the right leadership. Arsenal, however, seem to be stuck within a Bandersnatch-like cycle. No-one is jumping out of the windows, but the same mistakes continue to be made. Against West Ham, Arsenal lined-up with a back three consisting of two centre-backs the wrong side of thirty and a bench lacking in true depth. A criticism that has been directed at Arsenal for many years. The issue remains that Arsenal’s top four rivals have greater depth – and of a better quality.

Arsenal is a grand institution that must qualify for the Champions League

External pressures – by which I refer to social media – eventually led to the toppling of Arsene Wenger, but after half a season under new management has anything changed at Arsenal? Emery is currently experimenting tactically in the same way that Wenger did, Mesut Özil’s unquestionable talent isn’t being utilised correctly and Aaron Ramsey appears to be the latest player to saunter towards the exit door. Unless Emery was being economical with the truth in claiming that Arsenal would only be in the market for loan signings this January, the Club will be confined to doing their business at Blockbusters.

Arsenal is a grand institution that must qualify for the Champions League in order to sustain its image, an image that seems to be slipping through the austere fingers of Stan Kroenke.