duck density
Image: Warwick Media Library

University of Warwick ranked fourth highest for duck density

The University of Warwick has been ranked fourth highest in terms of the number of ducks on campus, according to website DuckDensity.org.uk.

The website states: “the ultimate mark of a university’s prowess and brilliance is its duck density.” In recognition of this fact, DuckDensity.org.uk has been set up so that those who have the dilemma of where to spend the next three or four years of their life can be truly informed.

The website measures the number of ducks on university campuses across the UK in roods, an Old English unit of measure with one rood approximating 1,011 square metres or one-quarter of an acre.

According to the website, the University of Warwick has a duck density of 2.3 ducks per rood. However, this figure is a significant decline in the number of ducks from five years ago, when it was reported that there were 7.0 ducks per rood on campus.

Created by University of York graduates Tim Clarke and Tom Saddington in 2002, the website outlines that there are three main areas of water with ducks on the University of Warwick campus.

There are 56 types of bird life on campus

One is near the Lakeside accommodation block and the other two are at the other side of the campus as there are two lakes separated by a path, and then another two small water areas joined together near Claycroft.

Warwick’s campus has a total area of 43.5 roods, which is around 44,000 square metres.

Asked about Warwick’s ranking on the website, the University said that it is hard to count the number of ducks on campus as “hoards of Canada geese get in the way”, and pointed out that there are 56 types of bird life on campus.

The spokesperson also added that the presence of large bodies of water contributes to the University cultivating a large duck population.

16 universities were ranked in total with the Universities of Leeds, York and East Anglia placing above Warwick in the top three with 8.5, 4.9 and 2.8 ducks per rood respectively.

A second-year student commented: “The ducks at Warwick in some way have become a prominent feature of the University.

“Many who come to Warwick will inevitably encounter them and perhaps get attacked by one. Venues and events on campus are also dedicated to these graceful species such as ‘The Dirty Duck’, ‘The Goose Nest’ and the ‘Cleverducks’ quiz.

“Students at Warwick have also opened up a Facebook page, ‘Warwick Goose’, filled with memes and general comments which all Warwick students can relate to.”