Image: Henri Calderon

Warwick student’s photography selected for Portrait of Britain 2018

Current third year student Henri Calderon has been published in the 2018 “Portrait of Britain Book” for his photo of a group of students outside Warwick’s Law School.

Studying Politics and International Relations at the University of Warwick, Henri’s publication in the 2018 edition is just one of his many achievements in photography and video production.

Whilst his achievement with the publication has reignited his flare for photography, it is within the sphere of video production that Henri has arguably been most successful.

“For the past two years I’ve been working freelance across a range of different roles within music videos and commercials. I’ve enjoyed pretty reasonable success from it, working with artists including: Skepta (and BBK), Chip, 67, Lily Allen, Avelino, Yxng Bane, Big Shaq, Kelela and Kate Tempest, to name a few.”

The image (featured above) shows a group of Warwick students outside the University of Warwick’s Law School. The “Portrait of Britain”, published on 6 September 2018, has been described by the British Journal of Photography as featuring “200 photographs that capture the face of a changing nation”.

The photo was shot… with the simple of idea of capturing boys who were striving for something above their limitations

– Henri Calderon

According to photographer Henri Calderon, “the photo itself was quite spontaneous. Myself and Arsalan Jamshid (a Warwick student) were filming a rapper (and Warwick Student) called Truthz.

“The photo was shot on a cold Winter’s night outside the law school, with the simple of idea of capturing boys who were striving for something above their limitations.”

Henri expanded that Warwick rapper Truthz came to Warwick from a difficult background, and that he wanted the photo to reflect the sense of achievement that students such as Truthz feel in getting into a top university like Warwick.

“I suppose I’m quite lucky in the sense that I unintentionally captured something that, to me, represents the next generation of Great Britain: the embracing of diversity, whilst challenging previous race and class constraints in higher education.

“It’s an optimistic picture for the future. But the photo also highlights issues of diversity and representation on campus.”

Henri shared that he has been keen to improve his talents in photography since Year Nine, but that it took a “the passenger seat” so to speak after he joined a community centre media group during his early teens, when he instead decided to pursue a career in video production.

The Warwick student has recently been working as an assistant director in music video production, including for Big Shaq’s ‘Man Don’t Dance’.

“In short, an assistant director is the director’s right hand man. Within the department there are three different AD’s, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd. On that job, I was the 2nd, which meant my main concern was keeping Big Shaq happy and making sure he was dressed and ready to perform in his next scene.”

I’ve worked with artists including: Skepta (and BBK), Big Shaq, Chip, 67, Lily Allen and Avelino

– Henri Calderon

Henri has also worked as an assistant director for Skepta, Dizzee Rascal, Chipmunk and other members of English grime collective and record label “BBK”.

“This summer has been quite successful for me. I’ve production managed a content series between Footlocker and Adidas, in addition to music videos with Sony for several new talents. I suppose my biggest credit would have been for a project called ‘London’s Calling’, which was made in collaboration with GRM Daily.

“I’ve also directed stuff this year with L.D., a pretty controversial drill artist.”

In addition to being published in the British Journal of Photography’s Portrait of Britain, a few months ago Henri was approached by a magazine called “CANNected” looking for a cover for their first edition. The magazine, self-proclaimed as ‘The Ultimate Cannabis and Music magazine’, were hoping to use one of Henri’s photographs of a Grime rapper named Safone.

“The funny thing about it was that it was a magazine about weed culture. Explaining that to my Mum was an interesting one,” commented the photographer.

Henri hopes to continue working to present the “urban scene” through video production, and continue to encourage diversity and fair representation within media, as encapsulated in his award-winning photography.