Literary societies: Warwick Literature Society

Warwick Literature Society’s (LitSoc’s) co-president, Caitlin Devlin tells us more about the society and what they have coming up this term… 

What do LitSoc do?

LitSoc provides opportunity for those who study literature as part of their degree – or those who have an interest in the subject – to meet like-minded people. We run a lot of socials, both alcoholic and sober, as well as providing academic aid and creating a support system for literature students. We’re a very friendly society and our main aim is to help all our members get the most out of their time at university!

What events do LitSoc have coming up in Term 1?

We’re kicking things off with a ‘meet the exec’ event on the 26 September in Terrace Bar and we’re looking forward to getting to know all the freshers there. On 29 September, we’re going to be doing a bar crawl around Leamington Spa with the drama society, Codpiece. For incoming students, this is great introduction to Leamington and will give you the chance to experience some of its best bars and pubs.

Circle is such a fun way to get to know others in the society and we’re excited to head off to Pop in the Copper Rooms together afterwards

Our first circle of the year is going to be on the 17 October, so bring your best 80s costumes! Circle is such a fun way to get to know others in the society and we’re excited to head off to Pop in the Copper Rooms together afterwards. We’re also launching a LitSoc netball team, which we’re so excited about, as it’s going to be a chance to play a really fun and sociable sport in a low-pressure environment. There’s lots more exciting things in the works as well – you can keep up with all of our upcoming events on our Facebook page.

Do you do a tour?

We do! We’re super excited to officially announce that Warwick LitSoc 2019 Tour is booked for the beginning of the Easter holidays to Lisbon! While we won’t reveal all the juicy details right now (head over to Warwick LitSoc on Facebook and ask Lillie for all the details), we can disclose some information. We’ll be there for four days in a stunning central location in the city, and we’ve got a super trendy hostel with ensuite private dorm rooms and a rooftop bar – the perfect place to begin our bar crawl! If you’re not a big drinker, don’t worry – there will be lots of awesome sober events too. We have two planned day trips, one of which will be included in the initial cost. There will also be one or two pre tour events to make sure everyone gets to know each other before we set off. Tour is one of the highlights of our social calendar so we’re really getting hyped.

What is your favourite part of being a member of LitSoc?

Definitely the socials. I had so many fun nights out with the society during my first year and I met so many lovely people. There’s such an inclusive atmosphere in LitSoc – even my friends studying things like Maths, Engineering and Physics would come along, and many ended up joining the society. One (Emma Wilkinson) ended up becoming our treasurer! LitSoc socials had such a positive impact on my first year and I can’t wait for all the fun things we having coming up this term.

LitSoc doesn’t have regular meetings, but we organise events often enough that there’s always something happening

How often do your society socialise?

We tend to do about five or six circles in the year, with plenty of other socials in-between, including our netball practices. LitSoc doesn’t have regular meetings, but we organise events often enough that there’s always something happening.

What is circle like?

LitSoc circles tend to happen about twice a term and are opportunities for us all to get together, dress up and play games before heading to Pop. Us exec are partial to some Purple, but there’s no pressure to drink. Our circles are run by our wonderful social secs, who are quick to call you out for not following the rules. I remember losing every game badly at my first circle but I had a great time regardless, and our 80s themed circle in Week 3 promises to be just as good.

We’re so excited to welcome back our old members, and say hello to our new ones! It’s going to be a great year.

LitSoc Love xxx