Best academic diaries to stay organised at university

I’m not ashamed to admit I’m the type of person who gets excited over new pens and refuses to write in certain notebooks for no other reason than that they are simply ‘too pretty’. Given that the new academic year is not far away, I will soon be able to get on a new level of organisation (or at least that’s what I’ll be telling myself) with a brand new and fresh diary. Let’s hope it’s not too pretty so that I actually use it.  

Picking the right diary for you is extremely important; from freshers’ events, to lectures, to nights out, there’s a lot happening at university and without the right diary, it’s easy to lose track. Whilst most of the world operates on a January to December system, there are plenty of products out there that enable those of us for whom the beginning of a new year happens to be around September to start the year off with the best intentions. These are some of the best ones that you might want to consider purchasing to help keep your productivity on point.

From freshers’ events, to lectures, to nights out, there’s a lot happening at university and without the right diary, it’s easy to lose track 

The Pirongs Pocket Diary is the smallest of them all, designed to fit in your bag without weighing you down. It features a two-week-to-view format, as well as additional notes, timetable, and continuation calendar pages. This diary will have all your basic organisational needs covered, keeping your commitments in place wherever you go. It’s also not too damaging on the budget at a handy £6.16.

For those that like to separate academic and social life, the Busy B Busy Life Diary is the perfect diary for you! This diary lets you organise two schedules in one week on a double page spread, with additional space on each side for reminders, as well as pockets to hold all your loose lists and receipts. Costing only £9.89, this diary could help you turn your hectic work schedule and busy social life into a smooth-running machine.

The Moleskine Weekly Notebook Diary is the one for you if you like having space for extra notes, or for doodles when you’re sat in a lecture you wish would be over sooner. This diary will keep you covered for 18 months and features the week on one side of the spread, and a lined page for notes on the other. With an extra desk calendar and expandable pocket, this diary is a solid choice for just £12.40.

It’s great having a pretty looking book on your desk or in your bag, but if you’re not using it, it won’t be much help

If you need extra motivation, the Action Day Academic Planner features a layout designed for you to get things done. This diary has a two-page spread for every week, and comes with a separate section for appointments, a section for all your tasks, goals and projections, as well as a projects section. On top of this, the diary has 27 pages for notes, as well as a 12-page teaching tool section to help you make the most of your time at university. For £19.99, you get your money’s worth with the extra features including an expandable pocket, elastic pen loop, a bookmark ribbon and elastic closure.

Perhaps the most aesthetically pleasing on the list, and most expensive at £23.99, is the Esmie Mid-Year Diary which has a cloth spine for added durability, sure to survive the entire year. This hand-bound diary makes organisation feel rather luxurious, and features a week-to-view spread, as well as an extra month per page section. The simplistic yet attractive design is perfect for those that like to keep things classy.

Whichever diary you choose to get, the most important thing is to use it. It’s great having a pretty looking book on your desk or in your bag, but if you’re not using it, it won’t be much help. University life is busy, all the time, so having a diary is the best way to stay on top of it all and not miss out.