Image: Sky Editorial Asset Centre

A Critique on ‘Superhero Films’

As someone who enjoys cosying up under a blanket and catching a late repeat of Shutter Island, “superhero films” are really not my cup of tea. The faulty and impractical storylines, unnecessary make-up and costume, needless drama and a predictable finish are only some of the aspects that push me further away from this kind of cinema.

It always baffles me as to how a group of five or six superheroes are left with the task of “saving the world”. The police are useless have absolutely no impact on the story even though it is their duty to save mankind. The “world’ is also just limited to America and the villains always seem to pick the States as their landing location. I imagine extra-terrestrial immigrants have better luck there than us. The world, actually, is never really “saved”.

Moreover, the costumes use the fanciest technology known to man. But, for some inexplicable reason, only the superheroes have access to all of that. If the knowledge does indeed already exist, why not just let the whole law enforcement system use it instead of limiting it to a handful of individuals? I’ve also observed how there is absolutely no explanation of how the powers of the elaborate suit and/ or gun work. All I see are bright coloured rays that clash in mid-air and seem to always produce more light than actually inflict any damage.

the man in the fancy suit always used the death of his associate as added motivation and saves the world, as if that was not a pending issue to begin with

As with most horror films as well, there are a couple of characters who never seem to make it alive. Do not be fooled by their “can-do” attitude, impeccable skill and loyalty, they WILL die. The man in the fancy suit always used the death of his associate as added motivation and saves the world, as if that was not a pending issue to begin with.

I’m not stupid, I know its entertainment and meant to be dramatized but the lengths of each and every battle stumps me every time. Why can’t the good guy have an actual plan for once and strategically finish off the enemy? I mean, someone who seems to be the only one on earth trusted with all the flashy equipment can surely be expected to at least be mildly competent. I also do not know why superheroes neglect their foreheads so much because that is basically where they always get hit. I mean if the enemy can get to your forehead, he can probably break your pretty face too.

I also do not know what it is about the city of New York that they produce the most superheroes and supervillains. I mean I get that the job market is competitive in the Big Apple, but surely risking your life every day and climbing into strangers’ flats are not the right way to go. I hear food carts are doing pretty well apparently.

it bothers me that quality films with quality actors like that of The Pursuit of Happiness and Shaun of the Dead as well as many more do not earn anywhere near what Robert Downey can earn in a film by simply putting on a snazzy costume and saying a couple of catchy lines

I must sound like the darkest person on earth for not liking this global phenomenon, but it bothers me that quality films with quality actors like that of The Pursuit of Happyness and Shaun of the Dead as well as many more do not earn anywhere near what Robert Downey can earn a film by simply putting on a snazzy costume and saying a couple of catchy lines. It’s time we actually put some substance into commercial cinema and focus on actual art as well.