Image: Christopher Geradts

Warwick Trampolining reach all-time high with charity event

On Friday 15 June, the University of Warwick Trampoline Club bounced for 12 hours in aid of Malaria Consortium.

The event took place at Benefactors Place, next to the Piazza, where the club invited suitably dressed onlookers to have a go and help the club with their target of non-stop bouncing for 12 hours, from 9am to 9pm.

By the end of the day, the club had raised £355.12 in total, both via JustGiving.com and donation buckets. Passers-by could make a small, voluntary donation in exchange for participating in the event and having a go on the trampoline.

The club had aimed to raise £200 for their chosen charity, Malaria Consortium, an organisation established in 2003 specialising in the prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable populations.

The charity was chosen by members of the club via a poll after the exec shortlisted three different organisations.

The day was challenging but extremely rewarding, and it was great to get so many people who are not members of the trampoline club to come and have a go

– Rebecca Hallam

The event happens annually, with the club successfully raising over £230 for Shelter on Monday 19 June last year.

This year, the club expected 20 members to participate, with over 90 going or interested on their Facebook event.

According to members of the club, it was essential for a designated coach and one member to be present at all times, with sign-up sheets before the event making it easier to organise.

Rebecca Hallam, the club’s vice-president, said: “The day was challenging but extremely rewarding, and it was great to get so many people who are not members of the trampoline club to come and have a go. The whole event ran very smoothly thanks to the hard work of our members and hopefully we have raised a lot of money for Malaria Consortium.”

President William Gower added: “I think a lot of us will be limping for the next few days but it was so worth it!”