Photo: Wired.it

The very best TV shows to binge watch

With exam season finally ending, there is no better way to spend your time binge-watching TV shows. Here’s a list of Netflix shows, as well as some hidden gems, that are a perfect accompaniment to your lazy summer days free from exam stress. 

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

This Netflix show recently released half of its final season, and it’s a brilliant commentary on the male privilege plaguing our world. This show is very tongue and cheek and created by Tina Fey, so you know it’s going to be excellent! The show follows the adventures of Kimmy Schmidt – a woman who was held captive in an underground bunker for most of her life. Hilarity ensues as she tries to navigate the cutthroat world of New York City alongside equally as eccentric characters.

Orange is the New Black

If you haven’t already watched the brilliant prison drama, where have you been? Personally, I feel the show goes from strength to strength and perfectly combines humour and drama, delivered excellently by its strong female cast. With season 6 dropping sometime this summer, you have time to catch up with the prison phenomenon. The series is a slow burner, but once you’re hooked, the true binge watching begins. Fortunately, every episode is an hour long so you’ll have plenty of viewing hours!

Atypical

This show is based on the high school life of an autistic boy. The cinematography is beautiful and the story heartwarming and hopeful. It combines the common tropes of a high school drama, whilst also shedding light into the world for somebody who has autism. The show is only 6 hours long, and Netflix has renewed if for a second series which should hopefully be released soon. Whilst there aren’t as many episodes to fuel your Netflix binge as other shows on this list, the quality of the show and the concept itself is well worth your attention.

Hemlock Grove

If you’re a fan of fantasy high school dramas such as The Vampire Diaries, then consider giving this show a watch. Hemlock Grove is a Netflix original teen drama about a werewolf and a vampire uncovering mysteries in a small American town. It also stars Bill Skarsgård (IT the clown) as a brooding vampire, and it that doesn’t appeal to you, I don’t know what will.

Uncle

This British comedy is quite frankly – hilarious! It combines tongue in cheek British humour with musical numbers and tells the tale of a relationship between an uncle and a nephew. It’s a slow burner, so give it a few episodes and before you know it you’re hooked!

My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Another show that fantastically sheds light into the world of mental illness without being morbidly depressing and intensely problematic. The show is based on a woman with Borderline Personality Disorder as she tries to win the affection of her ex-boyfriend. It is an all singing, all dancing spectacular show, making a very sensitive and misunderstood mental illness acceptable to the masses

The Mighty Boosh

This is definitely a marmite programme, you either hate it, or can’t stop watching. If you do dip your toes into the whimsical, surreal world of Noel Fielding’s The Mighty Boosh, keep an open mind. Nothing makes sense, there is a huge ensemble of weird characters and the characters will burst into song. If you’re a fan of things that make no sense but somehow make you laugh aloud, give this one a go.