Image: Alan Levine / Flickr

Global Student Story: Students at Australian university investigated after “politically incorrect” party

Students at Charles Sturt University in Australia are facing an investigation following a “politically incorrect” themed party with Vice-Chancellor Andrew Vann condemning their “offensive behaviour”.

Five students who attend the Charles Sturt University in Australia are facing an investigation following images emerging from a “politically incorrect” themed party held at the Black Swan Hotel.

Images that were posted to social media accounts showed the students in question dressed as members of the Klu Klux Klan, with one individual dyeing his face black and dressing as a slave holding a bowl of cotton. Other images that have emerged since the incident show students dressed as Nazis and Holocaust victims.

The end of semester party which was meant to be a celebration of the end of the exam period was circulated on the social platform Facebook. On the media site, the public event told attendees to “Grab a kit that would legally get you in s*** and hook right in”.

With a student population of over 43,000 students, the University initially addressed the incident via their Twitter account stating they were “aware of an incident that may have involved Charles Sturt University”.

Following confirmation, Vice-Chancellor Andrew Vann released a statement: “The university will not tolerate this offensive behaviour. It does not reflect our university values and we strongly condemn these actions. CSU is currently investigating these incidents and social media posts.”

This incident has gathered attention within the local community and beyond, with people deeming the images of the event as “disgusting” and “sickening”. The Black Swan Hotel which hosted the event addressed the party in a since-deleted post to their Facebook page.

The hotel stated: “The pub was made aware of an incident unbeknownst to staff. We were aware of this behaviour happening out of the back of the pub, however we have immediately dealt with this. We have zero tolerance and do not condone this behaviour.”