Image: University of Warwick Media Library

Warwick University plans to spend £400 million on expansion in four years

The University of Warwick is currently seeking permission for expansion over the next four years, totalling £400 million in expenditure for nine new developments.

According to the Coventry Telegraph, the projects will include a new Faculty of Arts building and accommodation for up to 1,000 students. Plans for the projects will be submitted to Coventry City Council in the spring.

The Faculty of the Arts building, costing £80 million, will centre departments from Milburn House and the Humanities Building.

A spokesman from the University commented: “We have a number of new buildings that are underway within the next few years and most of that will be stuff we have already announced, things like increasing the car parking and increasing the number of student residences on campus.”

A £57 million Cryfield Student Village will include 828 new bedrooms (12 buildings), whilst Redfern will be demolished.

Along with the bedrooms, the village will include a ‘village hall’ building with offices, a launderette, a post room and areas for student meetings.

A £57 million Cryfield Student Village will include 828 new bedrooms (12 buildings), whilst Redfern will be demolished

Students can also expect a new Sport and Wellness Hub, costing £50 million, off Leighfield Road near Sherbourne. The new sport centre will house a 12-court sports hall, 25-metre swimming pool with a moveable floor, climbing walls, a large gym, football pitches and a café.

Another project will seek a £54.3 million Interdisciplinary Biomedical Research Building, located on Gibbet Hill, which will house 300 biomedical researchers from the School of Life Sciences and Warwick Medical School. The building will include a 400-seat lecture theatre and social spaces.

As part of the £400 million expansion, renovations on the Warwick Arts Centre have already begun. However, the University also plans to have a large gallery on the ground floor, a three HD digital auditoria and a new foyer.

A new multi-storey car park will be available south of University House.

Other projects include a £27 million Mathematical Sciences building, set to open later this year, and a Materials Engineering Centre (£10 million).

A National Automotive Innovation Centre will also open, reflecting the West Midlands place as a key vehicle manufacturing hub.