Image: Wikimedia Commons

Stagecoach to increase UniRider bus pass prices

After increasing individual rider tickets in the Warwickshire area, Stagecoach have confirmed that they will also be increasing the price of UniRider tickets for the 2018/2019 academic year.

The new price of annual UniRider passes are to be published this summer before the start of the academic year, a spokesperson for the company confirmed to The Boar yesterday.

This news follow Stagecoach’s recent increments to return journeys from Leamington Spa, now £4.10 as opposed to £3.90.

Single journeys to Leamington from the university have also increased, from £2.90 to £3.10.

These changes now mean that Stagecoach services are more expensive than National Express single and day tickets, respectively £2.40 and £3.00 at the most, unless day tickets are bought before 9:30am.

Liam Jackson has described the increases in pricing as “extremely disappointing” and “unjustified”, and has promised to lobby to get the changes reversed

Stagecoach has justified their increases as part of an “annual” process that the company undertakes, but also to cover the costs of worsening traffic congestion and latest environmental emission standards.

“The Company also needs to increase its fares in order to invest in new vehicles which meet the latest environmental emission standards and during the last 6 years we have invested over £11 million in new buses in Warwickshire”, a spokesman told The Boar.

Students’ Union (SU) President-elect Liam Jackson and Democracy and Development Officer (DDO) Michael Kynaston have described the increases in pricing as “extremely disappointing” and “unjustified”, and have promised to lobby to get the changes reversed.

“Students are already under significant financial pressures. We are opposed to any price rises and will lobby to get this reversed. We are due to meet with Stagecoach prior to the beginning of term 3 and we will raise this”.

The current education officer and DDO also confirmed that the SU would be raising concerns about overcrowding, the future of the Sydenham service and Stagecoach’s latest ticketing technology updates at the meeting too.

Following the meeting, they also confirmed that they would be updating their Better Buses campaign and working with Stagecoach and the University to start dealing with these issues.

In the meantime, Liam Jackson and Michael Kynaston have suggested that students seek alternative cheaper methods of transport, such as National Express tickets or Stagecoach passes.