Image: simonwijers on Pixabay

A zombie experience is coming to Coventry

Learn to survive a zombie apocalypse with ‘Day With The Dead’, a zombie experience which is coming to Coventry this summer.

‘Day With The Dead’ will take place on Saturday 23 June at Sports Connexion, Leamington Road, Coventry, from 10am – 4pm.

The event will include a zombie combat experience, lessons on how to kill zombies, access to traders, cosplay and photoshoots.

Organisers say that their zombie combat experience will include “getting briefed by our military advisors on the best way to stay alive as they issue you with the latest and ultimate zombie killing weapon… A Fully Automatic M4 Assault Rifle.”

The experience will begin with a maze. According to event organisers: “You will have the opportunity to join the Team, passing through quarantine where you’ll be scanned for signs of the virus and undergo the stringent security measures in place.”

“The Team will guide you through the maze and out to safety, but be warned, failure to comply with the instructions could spell death…”

“When you escape the maze to safety, you’ll have photographs with the Team and infected subjects and have the opportunity to purchase some unique scare merchandise.”

You will have the opportunity to join the Team, passing through quarantine where you’ll be scanned for signs of the virus and undergo the stringent security measures in place

There will be traders, live action displays, and “photo opportunities with our professional character lookalikes from The Walking Dead” throughout the day.

The event also mentions dystopian writers Devon C Ford and Chris Harris, whose most notable novels respectively include After It Happened and UK Dark. Chris Harris’ Zombie Castle also been regarded as ‘one of the most realistic and plausible books around’ by critics in the zombie literary genre.

The basic plot and context of the day’s experience is as follows:

“After over a decade of testing and research, scientists have made a revolutionary breakthrough and are now able to slow the ageing process.”

“One unexpected side-effect they didn’t expect to manifest in the test subjects was a bloodlust for human flesh. The supposed cure is now a dangerous biohazard transmitted from infected to healthy humans, and once infected the host incubates the virus. The first sign of infection is a decreased cognitive function, devolving their behaviour until only their hunger for healthy human flesh remains.”

“A mixed unit of soldiers, the detritus of an army left in confused ruin, are abandoned and cut off at the facility where the outbreak began; trapped there with a ravenous horde and relying only on their wits to survive and escape.”