Image: Wikimedia Commons / Ben Firshman

Women in Leadership Panel held at Warwick

On Tuesday 20 February, the ‘Women in Leadership’ panel was held at Warwick. Organised by Warwick Women’s Careers Society, WCS Women In Consulting, and Enactus Warwick, the event allowed young women to hear from high-powered females.

The four speakers at the event were experts in fields of technology, finance, and management.

Victoria Azubuike, the youngest of the panellists, is currently studying Management at the University of Warwick after founding her own business two years ago.

Lara Kasperkovitz, who was involved in the organisation of this event, stated that the event was intended to “encourage women from the University of Warwick to be ambitious” and it could “boost students’ confidence”. The conference allowed an insight into the world of work and a deeper understanding of career paths available.

Many of the panellists admitted they had aspired to be lawyers before finding their current careers, due to a lack of information about alternative career paths.

Networking was highlighted by all panellists as a key to success, with Azubuike advising “be interested in people”. A connection with people already in the field you are interested in can be an opening to interviews and experience.

Asking for favours, Katherine Bell admitted she had once feared to be “cheeky”, is actually common business practice. How one treats their superiors, however, is not the only thing that will affect career prospects.

Selling yourself as intelligent and professional can be achieved by deciding beforehand what type of businesswoman you will be and preparing to present yourself this way

– Katherine Bell

Sian Allsop said that on assessment days many candidates were rejected by her company due to how they treated lower-ranking administrative staff. She said “everybody is important”. Azubuike also advocated making connections with course mates.

Common issues that many expressed were struggles with confidence. Allsop admitted that she had withdrawn from a promotion two years in a row due to this. She said that she felt her lack of confidence was due to her position in a male-dominated workforce.

When discussing how careers were marketed in the 1980s and 1990s, Allsop stated that “computing was for men” and said that her company, Morgan Stanley, is actively trying to change this. Allsop has since become an encouraging mentor for young women entering a male-dominated workplace and a supportive peer for others in similar positions to her own.

Bell admitted, however, that she had faced other obstacles alongside gender difficulties, such as age. Not only being a woman, but also one of the youngest at her company, Bell stated that she had quickly learnt that one needs a “brand” in professional scenarios.

Preparation for interviews and networking opportunities, she argued, is vital; selling yourself as intelligent and professional can be achieved by deciding beforehand what type of businesswoman you will be and preparing to present yourself this way.

Identifying a brand is another key to establishing a career that can flourish, and – when paired with strong connections – can open pathways to leadership positions.