Image: Pixabay

UCU strikes have no mandate to disrupt exams, Universities Minister says

In an official statement addressing the ongoing dispute between Universities UK (UUK) and the University and College Union (UCU) over changes to the pension schemes of university staff, Sam Gyimah, the Universities Minister, has warned that striking lecturers could face disciplinary action if they target end of year exams.

The statement followed last week’s news that the University and College Union (UCU) are encouraging external examiners, who are usually lecturers from other universities, to resign in an attempt to disrupt the summer exam period. However, the Department for Education has stated that marking exams and assessments is a contractual obligation which is not currently covered by the strike mandate.

Gyimah underlined this potential breach of contract, stating that the union’s current mandate includes no plan to cause “widespread disruption” to the exam season.

The union’s current mandate includes no plan to cause “widespread disruption” to the exam season

He stated: “Under the UCU’s current mandate for strike action – they have no remit to directly disrupt students’ exams. However, as I have already made clear – no student’s future prospects should be put at risk as a result of this dispute and providers should be taking steps to minimise any disruption or impact on their students’ studies.”

He also stated that he remains “deeply concerned” about how the strikes are affecting students and stated that an agreement must be reached in order to ensure that the education of university students is not harmed.

He said: “I call on all sides to redouble their efforts to reach a constructive agreement that will protect students’ education.”

I call on all sides to redouble their efforts to reach a constructive agreement that will protect students’ education

— Sam Gyimah

Responding to Gyimah’s statement, the UCU has acknowledged a shared concern about the impact that the strikes are having on students’ education but has stated that it has an “incredibly strong” mandate for further strike action if the dispute remains unresolved.

Sally Hunt, the General Secretary of the UCU, has commented: “We share the minister’s concerns about disruption to students’ education and want to resolve this dispute as soon as possible. However, we are clear that the only way this dispute will be sorted is with the employers presenting an improved offer.”

She added: “We have an incredibly strong mandate for 14 more days of strikes that will impact on the exam and assessment period. We know that students do not want universities to try and implement contingency plans to mitigate the impact of action – they want this dispute to be sorted. The most effective way to avoid further disruption is for the employers to come back to the table with a better offer.”