The best of popular science books

Matthew Dale summarises his favourite popular science books. These are perfect for any reader, scientist or not!

How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog by Chad Orzel

Quantum physics is an intimidating subject to broach, even for physicists, let alone for non-physicists. However, Chad Orzel breaks the off-putting nature of the esoteric academic ivory tower with his book. His whimsical and seemingly absurd premise of teaching his newly adopted dog Emmy is matched only by the absurdity of the quantum physics Emmy will learn. Perhaps that’s why it works so well. Orzel assumes the reader has no advanced scientific/mathematical education and is fully aware of how readers may have been put off by the drier ways in which physics is normally taught.

Quantum physics is an intimidating subject to broach, even for physicists

Each chapter begins with a classic doggo dilemma and Orzel uses a topic of quantum physics to find a solution, such as getting past the neighbour’s fence with quantum tunnelling. This charming concept is executed well – the writing is clear, succinct and funny despite the complex and counter-intuitive nature of quantum physics, and Emmy is an intelligent student which prevents Chad Orzel from appearing condescending or sanctimonious.

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

This one may be entering a grey area, as it uses insights from a broad range of academic fields to paint a compelling narrative about the history of humanity. But the novel uses a perspective from the natural sciences and talks about anthropology and ecology extensively. Harai begins the story of humanity with our forgotten ancestors of the Homo genus and how we came out on top. This reframing of the human story is refreshing, as you learn about how ancestors lived, and look at our interactions with members like Neanderthals as Harai finds a possible reason why only Sapiens survived.

This reframing of the human story is refreshing

He divides our history into four major ‘revolutions’, and the impact of each revolution on us and the planet is analysed extensively. Harai is uncompromising with his perspective and any discerning reader will no doubt have their disagreements, but Harai’s new perspective is always valuable to critically think about the world and is what makes this essential reading.

The Epigenetics Revolution by Nessa Carey 

Ever since Watson and Crick discovered the structure of DNA, the power of genetics and genomics has captured scientific imagination. The Human Genome Project was supposed to spark these visions into life, but humanity was left disappointed. It’s at this point which Nessa Carey takes up the dropped baton by delving into the field of epigenetics, which looks at changes in gene expression which don’t directly change the DNA sequence. The mundane world of methylation, histone modification, and imprinting is given new life as she builds a bridge between genetics and environmental influence.

Ever since Watson and Crick discovered the structure of DNA, the power of genetics and genomics has captured scientific imagination

Carey writes about the impact of epigenetics on obesity, addiction, cancer, as well as answering questions about animals and plants, like why tortoiseshell cats are always female. Her cogent marriage of genetics and biochemistry to their impacts on many species is as charming and entertaining as it is informative. Though Carey can’t avoid describing some of the complex genetic processes and associated jargon, she effectively gets the principles and mechanisms across and it will entice you to learn more about this burgeoning field of science.

I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life by Ed Yong

The science of microbiomes has become one of the most attractive areas of research in this century. Interest and research into the power of our microbes in arms has grown exponentially in recent years, but it’s yet to nestle itself into the imagination of the public. However, Ed Yong’s brilliant debut novel will change that as for those unfamiliar with this area of science, it will reshape their understanding of the world.

The science of microbiomes has become one of the most attractive areas of research in this century

Yong writes about the many captivating ways that animals, plants, and entire ecosystems are shaped by their microbes with a natural flair for storytelling. Yong’s trade is scientific journalism, and whenever possible he covers the experiments conducted to make these discoveries, often visiting labs and letting scientists do as much of the explanation as he does. The science is never disentangled from the scientists. His talent for telling the story of scientific experiments and discoveries, as well as the discoveries and insights themselves, is engrossing.

Are we smart enough to know how smart animals are? by Frans de Waal

Frans de Waal has an iconoclasm permeating through his account of ethology (the study of animal behaviour and cognition), which becomes infectious and compelling. His own research and the research of many other like-minded individuals who spent their lives studying animal behaviour is brought to life. Through each experiment, myths present in biology, psychology and philosophy that revere a variety of abilities as unique to us are dispelled.

The research of [those] who spent their lives studying animal behaviour is brought to life

Empathy, language, making and using tools, awareness of self, and the ability to grasp the past and future are all examples of characteristics hailed as markers which define our humanity. However, de Waal describes many fascinating experiments with an accessible yet infectious writing style which breaks the illusion that these are human specific. His fundamental approach to the novel is made clear in the first chapter where he asks the reader to think about animals’ Umwelt – the subjective viewpoint and perspective of an animal. The awe that makes this book unputdownable is de Waal helping the reader to explore the Umwelt of many animals with modern ethological research.