The Best of ‘Comfort Television’

People say a lot about TV. For many, TV is a majestic art form. Others (and some would say most) think it is simply something people just enjoy watching. For me, more than anything else, TV is a haven. It’s an amazing escape from modern day life – an all too necessary recess served up to us in a million and one different flavours.

In my mind, the ‘comfort shows’ we go to in those moments when we need to escape and de-stress are the most magical form of TV. We all have them – that one series or specific show you binge mid-essay or post-exam. This escape may not solve our problems but we all need a break sometimes. In that vein, if you’re looking for new relief from incoming essay deadlines or overbearing coursework: look no further. Here is a collection of my favourite ‘comfort shows’ listed for your enjoyment.

The Office

A classic really, somehow uniting the genres most prolific addicts and most casual dilettantes in unanimous applause. Whilst the original version is great, the American reboot is the better “comfort show”. Before any puritans demand my head, this is mainly just because there are more episodes. Maybe it is a slightly clichéd choice, but this show has been a real comfort for me. With hilarious acting, writing and directing, you are guaranteed to laugh. Its humour isn’t lazy or banal but never tries to be too highbrow either. It is just perfect for comfort-watching.

For me, Season 2 is a real high point, and episodes like Casino Night (S2: E22), The Dundies (S2: E1) and The Injury (S2: E12) hold a truly special place in my heart. All in all, the show has won over 45 awards for television programming; need I say more?

House

Not all of ‘comfort television’ needs be a comedy. Whilst some may find the idea of seeking out drama in times of stress fundamentally illogical, I have always found that delving into a world of intrigue and excitement can be just the way to de-stress. House has its own unique intensity which serves to distract me from my problems. Everything from the acting, the writing, even the show’s theme is just perfect. As trite as it sounds, words simply cannot do it justice. Also, there are a lot of episodes – beware of binging.

Highlights include Three Stories (S1: E21) and the two-parter Euphoria (S2: E19-20), though anything from the first three seasons really holds a soft spot for me and are unbelievably easy to get hooked on. You have been warned.

Community

Community might genuinely be the funniest show ever to have aired on television. Big claim, I know, but no matter how many times I watch this show, I can’t help but fall into fits of laughter. Every time I watch it, it feels like the first time. I genuinely think your life is missing something fundamental if you haven’t experienced characters like Senõr Chang or Pierce Hawthorn. The show is both ridiculously surreal and hilariously down to earth. Maybe that’s why if I feel sad, anxious or even just a little stressed at any point: this is the show I go to. Or it could be its endearing characters, hilarious writing, funny references, great running gags – or one of the many other reasons.

Any episode in the first three seasons is just amazing, with the paintball episodes (S1: E23, S2: E23-24) being real fan favourites. For me though ‘Intro to Political Science’ (S2: E17) is a highlight simply because Pierce’s foray into politics might just be the best thing ever to have been on television