How can Warwick help your Mental Health?

Recent research indicates as many as 29% of students in Higher Education may experience mental health difficulties at some point during their studies. But what is Warwick doing to help tackle this? Below you will find just some of the many ways you can access mental health services at Warwick and hopefully something that suits you!

Counselling

Counselling is often the first thing people think of when tackling mental health. Warwick has a dedicated University Counselling Service which offers completely free individual counselling sessions. All you have to do is register online and call to book an appointment with a counsellor face-to-face at a time to suit you. 98% of those who used the service last year would recommend it to a friend, so what are you waiting for?

Email Counselling

Another great option available at Warwick is email counselling. This method is great for students who may find face-to-face counselling too intimidating. There is a step by step guide to sending your email on the mental health services website and as long as your email is received by 10am on the Thursday of each week, you will receive your reply that day. Not only does this service help students who may live off-campus or are even studying abroad, but just writing down your issues and reflecting on them can be beneficial in itself.

Group Therapy

Group Therapy can be valuable if you want to consider how you function and your well-being in relation to others. The therapy groups meet for 90 minutes every week and you can easily sign up for a therapy group online. Whilst the idea of discussing personal issues in a group may sound scary, there are some extremely positive reviews of the service on the website, so it may be worth trying a therapy like this to see if it is right for you before dismissing it.

Well-being Drop-in Sessions

A great option for those who want to meet with someone face-to-face but may prefer to meet in a more casual setting are the well-being drop-in sessions at Warwick. These sessions are open to all students who are looking to improve their wellbeing or may just have some questions about things like managing stress and work life balance.  This term there are well-being drop in sessions running every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so just check the mental health services website to find a time to suit you.

Student Workshops

The University Counselling Service runs a wide range of workshops throughout the year aiming to meet specific needs of Warwick students. These sessions typically last under 2 hours and have a maximum of 20 people taking part. Some of the workshops coming up in the next few weeks of term 2 include: Maintaining Motivation; Emotion Resilience, Stress and Anxiety Reduction and Managing Procrastination.

Warwick Sport

Something a little bit different! Exercise has been shown to not only improve your physical well-being but also improve your mood, reduce stress, and even lower the risk of depression. Warwick Sport has developed many ways to encourage exercise with the goal of improving mental health and well-being. I would encourage you to check out the sport section of the mental health service as there is plenty to choose from, but some of the highlights include free ‘Students Yoga for Study’ classes and ‘Deskercise’ sessions.

You can find out more information and sign up for all of these services at https://warwick.ac.uk/services/mentalhealth.