Valentine’s fundraiser launched at the University of Warwick

A secret Valentine’s Day fundraiser has been launched at the University of Warwick, allowing students to send anonymous goody bags containing chocolate and other treats to those who they admire.

The admirers must pay £3 to send the gift, and the recipients can pay £1 to discover the identity of the admirer if they so wish. All proceeds will go to Warwick Youth Phab.

Warwick Youth Phab is a youth club run by Warwick students for disabled children aged between 11 and 19. Every Wednesday volunteers run sessions at the Westbury Centre in Leamington Spa from 6pm to 8pm.

The fundraiser started on Monday 5 February, and will run throughout Week 5. To send someone a goody bag, admirers simply need to send their full name and email address and the recipient’s full name and email address, if possible, to warwicksecretvalentine@gmail.com. There will also be stalls on campus at which students can pay in person.

Recipients will then be notified via email that they have received a goody bag and will be able to collect it on either Friday 9 February, Monday 12 February, or Tuesday 13 February.

The fundraiser has been organised by Jayoti Shah, a second-year History student, and Betsy Brady, a second-year Chemistry student, who currently serve as the fundraising officers for Warwick Youth Phab.

The admirers must pay £3 to send the gift, and the recipients can pay £1 to discover the identity of the admirer

Jayoti stated that Warwick Youth Phab provides “a safe and fun environment for our members to unwind and socialise in.”

In regard the Valentine’s fundraiser, she commented: “Not only a great way to confess your feelings for that boy in your seminar or to create a bit of fun awkward tension in your flat, but all the money you donate will go towards helping us provide more support and more fun activities for our members.”

She also added that Warwick Youth Phab is “always looking for new volunteers to help out and take part in some arts and crafts, sports, table tennis and other games”.

To get involved, Warwick students can to turn up to the weekly sessions or join the Facebook group Warwick Youth Phab Volunteers.