Image: Flickr/BagoGames

The best soundtracks in video gaming

For many years now video game soundtracks have been vastly under-appreciated in comparison to film and television soundtracks. It seems in recent years the music produced in video games has either met or exceeded the level of quality we expect from other forms of media. There are many video game blockbuster hits that are accompanied with impressive official soundtracks, but there are also undiscovered gems and smaller titles that boast unrivalled talent when it comes to music production.

Recently I have played both Xenoblade Chronicles and listened to their soundtracks extensively. In the second game the open world soundtracks are pure bliss. The thing I personally enjoy about the Xenoblade Chronicles soundtracks are the fact that the over-world music will change to a day or night version depending on the time of the day. One minute you could be exploring the vast depths of Uraya, listening to epic orchestral ballads accompanied by flutes and trumpets to build a strong sense of adventure. However, once the sun goes down you begin to hear softer orchestral singing combined with instruments like the triangle, violin and piano that build a strong sense of wonder and serenity.

Hearing the music from games I had grown up with like Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess made me feel extremely nostalgic

My favourite video game series of all time has to be the Kingdom Hearts video game series. The graphics, gameplay and story are all fantastic in their own right and the music is no exception. Kingdom Hearts‘ ‘Dearly Beloved’ (which has a simple piano beat that somehow manages to form a rhythm that fills the player with a sense of tranquillity) plays the moment the game is booted up. In both Kingdom Hearts the opening and closing credits both have extremely catchy vocal songs by Utada Hikaru; my personal favourite is ‘Sanctuary’ in Kingdom Hearts. This mix brings the angelic chorus that is the main staple of RPGs, but mixes it up with a contemporary beat with drums, guitars and pop-like lyrics.

Assassin’s Creed is another video game series that has a seriously impressive soundtrack. My personal favourite from the first game is the ‘Chase Theme’ that plays upon you assassinating a target. The need to escape without been caught or killed by the armed guards is almost primal. This track does extremely well to build a pure sense of adrenaline, with the tempo of the song constantly changing as you scale the rooftops searching for a secure way to escape. This theme is accompanied interchangeably with a dramatic flute rhythm and an orchestral score that keeps you, the player, on your toes.

Image: Flickr/BagoGames

In my personal opinion I think the Legend of Zelda series, as a whole, has a world class soundtrack. On each anniversary Nintendo’s Legend of Zelda orchestra releases new versions of the core songs found both in the D and D games, I was actually lucky enough to watch this live when the Legend of Zelda ‘Symphony of the Goddesses’ tour came the UK and they played songs from the anniversary soundtrack. Hearing the music from games I had grown up with, like Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess made me feel extremely nostalgic, but at the same time the new sounds introduced by this ever-changing orchestral group added a new beautiful twist to a set of songs that I thought couldn’t get better. The track from the orchestra that got me reminiscing most about my adventures was the ‘the Anniversary Medley’, a track that blends together several iconic Zelda tracks into one eight-minute melody, as it took songs from several different games I had played, and merged it into one seamless masterpiece.