Getty Images

Year of the woman: 5 female-led films to look out for in 2018

In 2017, Wonder Woman grossed $821 million and became the tenth highest grossing film of the year. Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Beauty and the Beast were the two most successful films of 2017, both making over $1 billion worldwide, and featured female protagonists. Girls Trip, a WOC-led film about four friends reconnecting, became the first comedy of 2017 to gross over $100 million. Raw and I Am Not a Witch showcased the undeniable talent of female filmmakers, especially in the horror genre, and gave us two of the most notably unique female-led films of the year. But the female-led reign of the box office is not over yet; 2018 is set for even more incredible films about women for audiences to look forward to. Here are a few of our top picks:

A Wrinkle in Time – dir. Ava DuVernay

A Wrinkle in Time is an upcoming science fantasy adventure film, based on a novel by Madeleine L’Engle. The story follows a young girl who must travel through space and time to rescue her scientist father whilst being guided by a trio of guardian angels named ‘Mrs. Whatsit’, ‘Mrs. Who’, and ‘Mrs. Which’. Boasting a stellar cast of Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, and Mindy Kaling, this upcoming whimsical movie will provide a number of inspirational new heroes for young girls everywhere.

Ocean’s 8 – dir. Gary Ross

Image credit: Warner Bros. Pictures

Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Mindy Kaling, Sarah Paulson, Awkwafina, Rihanna, Helena Bonham Carter, and Anne Hathaway — if the incredible cast doesn’t convince you to see this film then I don’t know what will. The female-led spin-off of the Ocean’s Eleven series sees the gang of ladies attempt to pull off the ultimate heist at New York’s star-studded Met Gala and steal a near priceless necklace. The film promises a whole host of celeb cameos, including the likes of the Kardashians and Anna Wintour. Much like Widows, Ocean’s 8 is a step forward in genre films; women are getting to be part of the action, yielding weapons and harbouring slick criminal intuition, proving that they can be just as badass as George Clooney.

Widows – dir. Steve McQueen

An adaptation of a 2002 TV miniseries, Widows follows the lives of four widowed women who are left to deal with the debts left behind by their criminal husbands. The women must work together, using what little help their dead husbands left behind, to pull off their very own heist. With a screenplay written by Gillian Flynn (author of the best-selling Gone Girl) and a leading lady foursome of Viola Davis, Elizabeth Debicki, Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Erivo, this is set to be an exhilarating crime thriller which might just be another critically acclaimed success for McQueen.

Crazy Rich Asians – dir. Jon M. Chu

Image credit: Warner Bros. Pictures

Starring Constance Wu, this adaptation sees a young woman come to terms with the life of Asia’s rich and famous after finding out that her boyfriend’s family is one of the richest on the continent. The film includes an all-Asian cast and explores familial relationships, modern romance, socialite-life and tricky mothers in law. Crazy Rich Asians will be Constance Wu’s most acclaimed leading role so far, in the film world, and will hopefully make her a household name.

On the Basis of Sex – dir. Mimi Leder

This upcoming American biographical film will see Felicity Jones play Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Bill Clinton appointed Ginsburg in 1993 and she became the second female justice to be confirmed to the Court, as well as being the first Jewish justice since the 1969 resignation of Justice Abe Fortas. The film will detail Ginsburg’s journey to become a U.S. Supreme Court Justice; it shall explore the struggle for equal rights and the challenges of sexism she faced.